We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wondering About Accessibilty Using a Seated Walker in NYC

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Wondering About Accessibilty Using a Seated Walker in NYC

Have had Thanksgiving plans made and booked for NYC for months and have hurt my knee. The MRI may suggest meniscus surgery in about one to two weeks. I may need the help of a seated walker to get around in NYC. We had planned to use the subway and busses but can go by taxis. I am wondering how difficult it will be to get into the following:

-Rockettes Christmas show

-Look at the 5th Ave. Christmas Windows

-St Patrick's Cathedral

-Spiderman Play

-American Museum of Natural History

-See the parade balloons being blown up

-Watching the Macy's Parade from the curb (We will go very early and I can sit on the seated walker.)

-911 Memorial

-Lion King Show

Am wondering how many of these sites are for physically impaired individuals. My 26 year old daughter and husband will be with me to help.

new york
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wondering About Accessibilty Using a Seated Walker in NYC

For the shows, depending on where your seats are, you may have to go up quite a few stairs (if you are on orchestra level then likely ok). Subways are difficult because many only have stairs but the city buses are accessible and they lower to make it easier to get on. It will be difficult to see the store windows anyway due to crowds so I would try to go early in the day when the crowds are less. Good luck

new york
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wondering About Accessibilty Using a Seated Walker in NYC

I had a few minutes so I googled the theatres. It looks like you picked good shows because many of the older theaters don't have elevators. For Spiderman, it looks like orchestra and flying circle are accessible so only the balcony may be an issue. Lion King mentions a specific elevator for people with physical limitations but it may not be accessible to all seats.

Hopefully you can have your surgery ASAP- every day will help you get more mobile. I am going with my Mom this next weekend and her knee is really bothering her so I think we will be plotting routes that require the least walking.

Edited: 23 October 2011, 22:14
peterc2609
Level Contributor
283 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Wondering About Accessibilty Using a Seated Walker in NYC

I have a disabled relative in new York and go over every year... It's unbelievable how much more help people with disabilities get over there.

Don't worry at all, the accessibility is fantastic everywhere.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wondering About Accessibilty Using a Seated Walker in NYC

Hola.

We are sorry to throw a damper on this, but we (both) have had meniscus surgeries and though we were walking (hobbling) around in a few days and back to work via subway (and the associated stairs) it took at least 2 weeks (with physical therapy) to feel comfortable enough to sit with BENT KNEE for 2+ hours in a theatre seat. Please consider this and ask your doctor and/or physical therapist about what will be required.

In any case, good luck with the procedure!

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Edited: 23 October 2011, 22:29
Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wondering About Accessibilty Using a Seated Walker in NYC

I checked our tickets, and this is what we have:

Rockettes - Orch 4 -Row TT Seats 411 -- 413

Spiderman - Balcony D Seats 2,4,6

Lion King - Orch. Row V Seats 113 - 115

So, it looks as though we will have difficulty with Spiderman. My husband said that he and my daughter may be able to lift me the remaining steps to get up to the balcony.

It sounds wonderful that the busses lower to help get on.

Thanks for all of the words of wisdom.

new york
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wondering About Accessibilty Using a Seated Walker in NYC

I don't know if they would be able to help, but you could always call the Foxwoods Theatre and see if they could make special arrangements for you. I have never sat in the balcony in that theatre but it could potentially be a lot of stairs.

7. Re: Wondering About Accessibilty Using a Seated Walker in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 18:19