We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meatpacking District for dinner - pretentious?

Michigan
Level Contributor
791 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Meatpacking District for dinner - pretentious?

We're considering dining in the Meatpacking District this Friday, but I'm reading that the area is considered by some to be stuffy or snooty - is this a realistic view? Are there restaurants in the area that are fun with good atmosphere, but that won't cost an arm and a leg? Steak, seafood, whatever. (We love the feel of the West Village, but were hoping to try something new.) All guidance would be appreciated.

Dave

Mentioned in this post
West Village
West Village
1,367 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meatpacking District for dinner - pretentious?

"MePa" is very trendy, esp. with younger people. I would not call it "snooty" or stuffy at all (but, for me, with the sort of "in-ness" I might call it semi-obnoxious). It is a see-and-be-seen are with a "vibe" . You might like it, as it is not "that" kind of pretentious.

I enoy the Spice Market:

http://www.spicemarketnewyork.com/

and of course you might like also Pastis:

http://www.pastisny.com/

If you want traditional steakhouse (not too "trendy"):

www.theoldhomesteadsteakhouse.com/?q=node

Let's see what others suggest for food; there's lots of places there.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,183 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meatpacking District for dinner - pretentious?

I don't think you can paint every restaurant in any one area in the same light. The Old Homestead has been around forever from when the area really was packing meat and I don't think it's at all pretentious or snooty but I also don't think it's the best steak NYC has to offer. Pastis is a fun french brasserie but the same folks also own Balthazar in Soho which I think is better.

Here's a list that I think is reasonably complete of the restaurants in the area

http://nymag.com/srch?t=restaurant&No=0&N=265+200

But if you like the west village with it's narrow streets, charm and laid back atmosphere and want to try another area, I don't think the meatpacking district is it. I think you'd be better trying the east village, Nolita, the lower east side or Chelsea. Better yet, pick a kind of food/ambiance and look for that rather than an area.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meatpacking District for dinner - pretentious?

Hola.

The Meat Packing District, especially the restaurants and food vendor in the Chelsea Market, have some of the most Unpretentious atmospheres in which to eat; we have lunch here almost every Saturday or Sunday while we do food shopping. Actually the experience is just the opposite: unassuming and even “haimish”. Picture children running around and climbing on stone seat-sculptures and gawking at a waterfall and 100’s of pumpkins (it’s almost Halloween) while their parents and caretakers mindfully watch them while munching on everything “unique” to NYC.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Bronx, New York
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Meatpacking District for dinner - pretentious?

MPD is not a cheap place but what do you consider "an arm and a leg"? I recommend STK Steakhouse which serves great food and has a good bar scene.. If you go late in the evening and crowds start to form, some places go into "picking and choosing mode" of who can enter. Make a res in advance and enjoy.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meatpacking District for dinner - pretentious?

I never got that impression of the meat packing district in the few times I've been there.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,326 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meatpacking District for dinner - pretentious?

It was probably a certain crochety poster who I doubt who ever went to the Meatpacking district, who called it pretentious. It's a shame people take his ridiculous posts at face value!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meatpacking District for dinner - pretentious?

I also highly recommend The Old Homestead for unpretentious dining in the MPD. They MAKE THEIR OWN TATER TOTS!!! That alone is worth the price of admission.

Michigan
Level Contributor
791 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meatpacking District for dinner - pretentious?

Thanks to all of you guys for the posting. We are planning on going to the very unpretentious MPD tomorrow evening. Tater Tots or not, I'm sure we'll have a great time. One last question - any good beer bars in the area?

9. Re: Meatpacking District for dinner - pretentious?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 14:20