We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good place to stay

Salyersville, Ky
1 post
Save Topic
good place to stay

visiting NYC in a few weeks. Needing to find a place to stay that wont break us, but needs to be nice and clean. Would love to be near time square, but as long as their is easy access to it, its not a must. Bringing 3 teenagers with me as well. Alot of places I have checked its only 2 people per room. but can't put teenage girls in a room with no adult. Would also like to have a place with parking available, since we are driving. Would prefer not to drive once we are there though. subway, bus or walking... :)

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,855 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good place to stay

If you would like help from the hotel experts, please provide the following:

1. EXACT dates.

2. Budget per night. Remember tax will add ~ 15 % to the quoted prices.

3. Number of beds needed.

Your need for parking will most likely be the limiting factor here.

California
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good place to stay

I have no personal experience with it but I've read Skyline Hotel is very basic but usually has pretty good rates and inexpensive parking.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,855 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good place to stay

The Travel Inn is another hotel that is mentioned a lot on the forum because of the free parking: http://www.thetravelinnhotel.com/

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,755 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good place to stay

You may want to look at some of the apartment style hotels for a little more space -- Eastgate Tower, Radio City Apartments, The Beacon, etc. Also, all of the Affinia hotels have suites - most with kitchennettes. Check out www.affinia.com (The Eastgate is considered an "Affinia Affiliate" so you'll find that on their site too. )

Except for the one hotel mentioned above, you won't find a hotel IN Manhattan with free parking. If that's a deal-breaker then it's you need to give up the idea of staying in the city and near Times Square.

Edited: 26 October 2011, 11:11
Boston
Level Contributor
24,438 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good place to stay

" Needing to find a place to stay that wont break us"

And what is your breaking point, $300, $400 a night

" Would love to be near time square "

You will pay for location.

" Would also like to have a place with parking available"

Good luck with that one, most will charge in the $25-$40 day area.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,070 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good place to stay

I know for sure that there isn't a lot out there for families of five, even more so in December. The Skyline does have a room for five, would be cramped with three teens, but still it will do.

I booked at the Affinia Dumont, they have studio and one bed suites for under $500 a night that will sleep five, they also have two queen beds, not doubles, which make for better sharing.

December is very, very expensive, unless you come the week before xmas, as th eprices seem to drop a little then.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: good place to stay

The Travel Inn is the only place with free parking in Manhattan. Even if you stay outside Manhattan, many hotels will charge for parking. The Skyline charges $10/night and is good value for money. Both the Travel Inn & the Skyline have rooms for 4 with 2 double (Travel Inn) or 2 queen (Skyline) beds if the girls will share. The Skyline may also have some suites with a sofabed.

For larger suites with separate living room

affinia.com

radiocityapartments.com

nycsalisbury.com

are some of the good budget-moderate suite hotels. Near Times Square, the Hotel at Times Square has rooms with 2 queen beds and they also have a few 2 bedroom suites with a king bed in one room and a queen in the other. Their website is

applecorehotels.com

If you need more help, post your dates and nightly budget. You can opt to park the car outside Manhattan and continue in by train. You can also stay just outside Manhattan a train or subway ride away. The Verve Hotel in Long Island City has rooms with 2 queen beds (but you'll have to phone them to book for 4-their online reservation system won't take 4 in those rooms). They have a few parking spaces but don't guarantee them since there aren't enough for all guests. There is metered parking and garages nearby.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: good place to stay

Oops. I didn't catch that there are 5 of you (but maybe not?) That may be a challenge. Some of the Affinia.com hotels will sleep 5 in a 1 bedroom suite with 2 queen beds and a sofabed. I'll also mention that "in a few weeks" is the NYC Marathon (the first Sunday in Novemeber). If you're thinking of coming that weekend, rates will likely be sky high.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: good place to stay

One parking option you might want to consider is to park the car at the Metropark facility in Iselin, New Jersey, not far from the NJ turnpike and take the train from there. There are NJ transit trains that will go into Penn station in NYC.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
809 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: good place to stay

While most places don't have free parking once you find a hotel you can always go to bestparking.com and put in the hotel's address to get a map of parking garages nearby with rates. That's if you want to drive right into the city. Otherwise, you'd park your car somewhere outside the city and use mass transit to get you & your luggage into Manhattan.