We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do near Century 21... Bookstore? Cafe?

New Orleans
Level Contributor
217 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What to do near Century 21... Bookstore? Cafe?

Can you guys suggest something close to Century 21 for me and hubby to do while the girls shop? (Yes I'm a girl and not a shopper! Haha)

I'd like to be able to relax in a coffee shop or cafe or maybe browse a bookstore? Any other suggestions are welcome too!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,230 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do near Century 21... Bookstore? Cafe?

Cannot think of a nearby bookshop... There is mostly fast food. Maybe walk over to the World Financial Center and hang out in the Wintergarden in cooler weather, or outside by the water in warmer weather.

You could always Occupy Wall Street! It's a little more than a block away.

suitcaseready.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do near Century 21... Bookstore? Cafe?

There used to be a Borders down there, but it closed with the rest of them. :(

You could browse electronics in J&R, and they have a cafe.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do near Century 21... Bookstore? Cafe?

This would be your closest bookstore, Warren St:

store-locator.barnesandnoble.com/store/2255

Unfortunately, NYC is losing its bookstores. B&N has closed some branches and of course, all od Border's closed. I live near Columbus Circle where both closed and there is no bookstore (other than Rizzoli which is great but specialized) within walking distance at all. It would take a half-hoir walk, or at least a few subway stops to find one. Boo.

Alberta
Level Contributor
663 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do near Century 21... Bookstore? Cafe?

Which Century 21? We did not go to shop, but stopped in at the new one by the Lincoln Centre.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do near Century 21... Bookstore? Cafe?

You can always hang with the Occupy Wall Street crowd. Borrow a book from their People's Library. Chat with an unemployed laid-off librarian!

http://peopleslibrary.wordpress.com/

Here is my self-guided walking tour of the area:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c62611/New-Yor…

Pick a few sites to explore, or walk the whole thing. You can get free maps mailed to you from The Downtown Alliance:

downtownny.com/getting-around/maps-and-guides

...or pick them up when you get here (but the kiosk doesn't always have all the maps.)

If not everyone in your party wants to see the 9/11 Memorial or St. Paul's Chapel, you can see those.

You can also spend time at the South Street Seaport watching the ferries and admiring the Brooklyn Bridge. They have a food court.

southstreetseaport.com/Visitor-Information

If you like specialty bookstores, there's the Mysterious Bookshop:

http://www.mysteriousbookshop.com/

There are LOTS of pubs and bars around, if you want to just have a beer and watch sports. Let me know and I'll reco some.

Edited: 27 October 2011, 15:58
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do near Century 21... Bookstore? Cafe?

You can map either location on

maps.google.com

and then use the "search nearby" feature to find whatever you want. There are Starbucks near both locations. Downtown, the Wintergarden pavillion has a Financier pastry with coffee and lots of places to sit. Great idea to try the new store on Broadway & 66-67 st. Lots of options near there including Lincoln Center which has a lovely bookstore & gift shop.

texas
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do near Century 21... Bookstore? Cafe?

We had the Starbucks as our meeting place when we were all done with Century 21 by the WTC. Also if you need a souvenir they had the best NYC coffee mugs. I got 6 of them to take back and everyone loved them. That location only.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do near Century 21... Bookstore? Cafe?

I would take a look through St. Paul's Chapel, and then would head across West Street to the Winter Garden in the World Financial Center. You can get a coffee or something to eat, and sit at one of the tables under the palm trees.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
217 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do near Century 21... Bookstore? Cafe?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I did not even know there was another location. Is it as big? Maybe we should try that one instead!

I did know about the Starbucks right across the street as that's where I landed last time but I was hoping for something a little more original! The pastry shop sounds yummy!

I forgot to mention that this will be in late March - so the weather could go either way! If it's nice out we will find a place to sit outside, enjoy the weather and people watch.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do near Century 21... Bookstore? Cafe?

Here's an article I found on the differences b/w the 2 locations. I haven't been in the new one yet.

dnainfo.com/20110915/upper-west-side/century…

The pastry at Financier is very good. There are benches along the river out the back of the Financial Center. The Irish Hunger Memorial is there too if you haven't visited it.

Here's info about what's at Lincoln Center

…lincolncenter.org/live/index.php/visitorinf…