We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to Pack for New York in December

Fountain Valley...
1 post
Save Topic
What to Pack for New York in December

Hi,

My Mom, my sister and I are traveling to New York City December 17-20. We are from Southern California and are not used to cold weather. We are planning to go to a few broadway shows, shop and do a little bit of site seeing.

We are looking for some advice on what to bring to wear as well as the best shoes to wear for the weather. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!!!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
136 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,111 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
994 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,385 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,286 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to Pack for New York in December

shoes with treads in case it snows, sleets or gets slippery. A flat leather sole and you will be sliding all over the place. Sneakers arent great either, but will do if you dont have a light hiker or a shoe with a tread.

Since Im always warm inside when it's overheated, I would always wear a thinner layer and a light sweater, rather than a heavy sweater only, under a coat.

Of course, you should check the weather right before you come - if it's in the 50s (which is quite possible) you wont need to pack for cold weather, but I would still be prepared for freak weather changes. This morning I went out in a cotton sweater and rain coat, but put the lining in my handbag because it was supposed to get colder by lunch - it did.

It is supposedly snowing in upstate NY and even if we get snow this week doesnt mean it wont warm up again several times between now and the winter.

so my advice is to be prepared for a wide range of weather, depending on what the reports say when you get closer to your trip.

suitcaseready.com

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
698 posts
1,006 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to Pack for New York in December

If worse comes to worse for a trip like this and you find yourself unprepared for the weather and you need to get something, do not hesitate to go to a thrift shop. Especially if you think that you will not use the clothes again. We did that on a recent trip and donated the clothes again before we went home, so our suitcases were not full.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to Pack for New York in December

I usually visit the city in December/January.

I only travel with a small 20" rolling suitcase (I hate lugging huge suitcases - I was in Europe for a month and lasted with 1 20" roller)

I have a good pair of shoes that can stand a lot of walking or rain/ice/snow.

I usually wear my coat so I don't have to pack it... and I bring clothes that can be taken off in layers.

In my opinion - layers are key. After the big snow storm last year around xmas & new years the weather got up into the 50's. I was glad I had my coat and a heavy sweater for the colder days but was happy to shed it off for that nicer short burst of weather when I was there.

Have fun on your trip!

Edited: 27 October 2011, 22:29
Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to Pack for New York in December

Mitts or gloves, a scarf, a hat or a coat with a hood, and warm socks.

Enjoy!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to Pack for New York in December

Boots, scarf, gloves and a good coat. You can buy a warm hat in the city if a fast turn in weather happens. Otherwise, take layers. One one visit it was 65 degrees on arrival in late December, too icy to walk a couple of days later. All that said, it's an incredible city. Enjoy!

6. Re: What to Pack for New York in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 07:19