We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Printable Subway with street names map?

Saint Cloud...
1 post
Save Topic
Printable Subway with street names map?

I can find many printable subway maps and street maps of Manhattan, but I cannot find one that covers both (and I would like to be able to print it on a large enough scale to see the street names. The last time I was in NYC I was able to print it off on two separate pages (upper and lower Manhattan), but cannot seem to find anything like that now. Any help would be awesome!! Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,115 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
999 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,389 reviews
from US$36.00*
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,867 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Printable Subway with street names map?

Such a map would be huge if it covered all of Manhattan. Is there a specific area, like midtown, you want?

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Printable Subway with street names map?

May I suggest you buy this from Amazon: http://amzn.to/ulN3UR. Much more convenient & long lasting than a printout, packed with info and slips into a pocket or handbag. It's really all you need to get around.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Printable Subway with street names map?

You can get free one's to your smart phone.

There are some terrific apps. Free. With maps of NYC including subway.

You'll look less like a tourist looking at your phone than a giant paper map folded out. :-)

There are also a bunch of free one's at hotels and tourist centers that cover both street and subway and bus.

Edited: 27 October 2011, 21:35
Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Printable Subway with street names map?

I've just looked through the Amazon preview and it's frankly a rubbish representation of the Mapguide. It has full street maps for Manhattan and bits of the outer boroughs, with all the subway stations marked and colour-coded according to the subway line. It also shows hotels, shops, sights, restaurants and theatres etc. and it's very clear. I wouldn't be without it

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,799 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Printable Subway with street names map?

Do you have a smartphone (iPhone or Android device)? If so, then download the following PDFs to your phone:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/busman.pdf

These show all the subway and bus lines in Manhattan, most of the major streets, and many of the popular places and things that people like to visit. You can zoom and pan to your heart's content. I found these to be indispensable on my April trip, and plan to use them again when I go back in December.

-JimG

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Printable Subway with street names map?

JimG - with apps, you don't even to have PDFs downloaded to your phone.

There are some good maps of subway and the city which work offline. And they're free!

And they have the advantage over a PDF file of being able to give you directions, show you where landmarks and attractions are.

Edited: 27 October 2011, 21:53
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Printable Subway with street names map?

I like creating my own maps on Google Maps and then adding the "public transport" layer, which shows all the subway lines. You can zoom in and out as much as you like before you print.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,799 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Printable Subway with street names map?

I loaded HopStop on my phone and found it to be totally useless. Apps do not work when you are actually riding the subway. Maps do.

Besides which the buses and trains run frequently enough that you almost do not need to worry about the schedule - just go to the desired station or stop and wait for the next MTA coneyance that comes along, that is going in the same direction you are. I personally never waited more than 5-10 minutes for any bus or train the whole time I was there.

-JimG

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Printable Subway with street names map?

The paper NYC bus map shows every street in Manhattan, plus subway stops, in addition to the bus routes.

You can get them at hotels, the Times Square tourist info center and libraries.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Printable Subway with street names map?

"apps do not work when you are riding the subway."

I've never had that problem. Especially if it's an app that works offline.

I agree - I never worry about the schedule. But for those that do, there are apps like " NYC subway " which tell you when there are delays... work going on on certain lines...etc. That's helpful I find.

NYC Way is an app promoted by the city.

To each their own. :-)