We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December 2012

bury,lancashire
Level Contributor
318 posts
42 reviews
December 2012

Hi all, my wife, seven year old son and I are planning a trip to new york for the week before Christmas ideally in the times square area our budget to include air fares is around £3000 or $4800.

When would be the best time to book and which is the best hotel given our budget??

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,285 Reviews
from US$89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
554 Reviews
from US$34.00*
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,614 posts
108 reviews
1. Re: December 2012

If you want hotel advice from the hotel experts you need to provide a nightly budget in USD. Don't expect that they would like to spend time on estimating air fare for the 3 of you and subtract this from your budget to find your nightly budget by converting from GBP to USD.

Perhaps also an idea to give them some more information about what kind of hotel you would like: apartment style or standard room?

However, it could be difficult for them to predict prices more than a year ahead....

bury,lancashire
Level Contributor
318 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: December 2012

Thanks' for that Pippi2, I have just reserved a room for us at the 'Distrikt" after searching on quickbook but after I booked it it stated room was for 2 ppl max???

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,272 posts
44 reviews
3. Re: December 2012

For that week I am seeing the best deals on flights for U.S. airways from MAN to LGA, or British air from MAN to JFK, or KLM from MAN to EWR-

All these flights are coming in around $700 usd (x3 passangers=$2,100 +tax = @ $2,600usd).

Which leaves $2,200usd -Tax=@$1850usd for the hotel or @ $265 per night.

Because you are a family of 3 (& I assume you want easy access to the usual sites) I looked at 4* suites in Midtown Manhattan with in your budget.

For a very central midtown Manhattan Location (right in Times Square) you could consider the Double Tree Guest Suites-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93352-R…

Two other midtown Manhattan Choices could be Affinia 50 (Close to Rockefellar Center between Times Square and Central Park)-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d502408-…

or Affinia Dumont (In Murray Hill - a short walk to Midtown)-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d292142-…

Just to help a bit with your itenerary here is an easy must do list too-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23092-Most_Com…

Good Luck & Happy Planning!

Edited: 28 October 2011, 12:14
New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,272 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: December 2012

Usually Distrikt rates are cancelable-you should be able to change it.

If it is a non-refundable rate & you cant change it- you could contact the hotel (via phone or e-mail), tell them your situation, and see if they could accomadate you.

5. Re: December 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 04:17