We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging near Central Park Boathouse in August

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
95 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging near Central Park Boathouse in August

We will be attending a wedding at the Central Park Boathouse in August and are trying to get a jump on lodging reservations. We will be traveling on a budget and are *hoping* to keep the rates low (Ideally $150/night or less).

We have two potential options: a room that would accommodate our family (2 adults and 5 and 7 year old children) or a larger choice that could accommodate the extended family (6 adults, 3 children).

We would like to be close to the Boathouse if at all possible.

Any thoughts?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging near Central Park Boathouse in August

DISCLAIMER: I work in the hotel industry.

The boathouse is in the middle of the park, closer to the east side than the west side, and around 75th street. Finding a hotel on the east side anywhere close to the rate you are looking at is impossible, that's one of the highest price areas in the country. On the west side you might have better luck, but $150 a night (about $176 after tax - a room at 127.50 + tax would be just under $150/night) is a very, very low rate for Manhattan accomodations, especially for 4 people, and would be almost impossible for 6.

For important information about vacation rentals check out this link: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

There are apartment style hotels that might accomodate your group, but again, even in August, the rates would be higher than $150.

Just a FYI, AVERAGE hotel rates in Manhattan are around $300/night.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging near Central Park Boathouse in August

Beaconhotel.com

is the closest legal apartment/hotel with rooms for your family that are similar to an apartment but it won't be $150/night or close. In fact I think it will be very difficult to find a legal hotel room anywhere for $150/night for 4 people let alone 9. What you're looking at might not just be illegal but also non existent. Scams are rife on the internet for NYC apt rentals.

Almost anywhere you stay will be at least a 10 minute walk from the Boat House so limiting yourself to only places that are close may wind up costing you more money than taking a taxi. Note that even a taxi is not going to be able to get you on top of the Boat House since, as Al says, it's in the middle of the park.

This is a very basic b & b you might want to consider on the east side at 92 st.

http://staythenight.com/

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
95 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging near Central Park Boathouse in August

Thanks for the quick feedback.

I guess I wasn't clear that for the large family accommodations, we would be paying significantly more than $150/night! Each family could contribute in that scenario, significantly boosting our spending (and space requirements).

We are open to walking back to the hotel after the reception; however, it is probably unlikely that we will do so given the late hour and the tired children!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,354 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging near Central Park Boathouse in August

But even if each family put in $150 a night, you would be nowhere near the budget needed to house 9 people in NYC. Think about $300 per family of four in that area of town for a room with two beds.

Most one bedroom suites go for $400+ a night, obviously the bigger the suite the more you pay.

The Marmara might be worth looking at, they have some three bed suites, but I doubt they will sleep 9, I have never heard of any that big in NYC and fire codes make hotels really sharp about overloading rooms.

Look at the Eastgate Towers, maybe two suites there could fit all of you in, and they are about as budget as they come.

Nothing will put you really close, well except a tent maybe. So staying a little further out could get you more room for your money.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging near Central Park Boathouse in August

There are very few places where 9 people could all stay together regardless of how much money you're prepared to pay and because there aren't many large spaces, the ones there are are pricey.

This apt. that might sleep the whole group and is legal because the owners of the building live there.

http://www.vrbo.com/138897

So where is this room for your family for $150/night? The closest hotel to the Boat House is the Comfort Inn Central Park West but the rooms there are TINY and the reviews suggest it's dirty so I don't recommend it.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging near Central Park Boathouse in August

Acttually, it was clear (to me), no problem, I assumed that each fam would put in at least $150, for a total of $450. Just not many places that could accomodate 9 here, and most of those are luxury accomodations that would be thousands per night. Real estate is very expensive. For example, a typical, unregulated, one bedroom appartment in Manhattan would rent for $3,000 a month, unfurnished. A studio (bed-sit) about $$2,000. So, legalities asside, if you owned a one bed that you could rent for $3000, why would you rent it out for just $150/night? Economically, in order to make more than the 3K/monthly the nigtly rent would have to be at least 3 times that amount once you consider extra costs, advertising, cleaning, unrented nights, furnishing, utilities, extra taxes, etc, etc..

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
95 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging near Central Park Boathouse in August

How far away should we look? Even if we increase our price somewhat, I just can't see how we'll swing $600 for lodging alone for two nights. We still have to get ourselves to NYC, eat, sight see a bit, etc!

Is there some perfect radius that puts us in a more budget friendly hotel, but doesn't kill us in travel time and transportation costs to the reception? I'm fully comfortable with the subway to the reception, but less so after (again - given the late night and tired kids).

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging near Central Park Boathouse in August

What's your definition of being "killed" by travel time? The subway is fast and efficient, and costs the same no matter how far you travel.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging near Central Park Boathouse in August

Hey MomOnTheGo88:-) There are a number of hotels on the UWS that may work..would check out the Milburn on Broadway and 76th Street..consider calling some of them explaining your situation?! Best..and EnjoY!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lodging near Central Park Boathouse in August

Hi mom

How late is the reception over? Subway runs 24/7/365 and is safe, quick and inexpensive. Cheaper accomodations can be found in Queens, along Queens Blvd. As long as they are near a subway stop that should be fine, and a taxi from 72th Street and 5th Ave should cost not much more than $30 to $40 to get there after the recepion.