We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Manhattan Valley (104th street and broadway)

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Safety in Manhattan Valley (104th street and broadway)

Hi,

Please help a temporary English resident in New York.

I may be moving into an apartment block on 104th and broadway right on the western edge of Manhattan Valley. Is this area a safe area? I will have family staying with me at some points?

If you were returning at 10pm in the evening on the #1 train to 103rd and broadway would it be safe?

Generally I think I'd be using the #1 train to commute to columbus circle and back every day.

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.

Mike

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Manhattan Valley (104th street and broadway)

Hey Mike:-) Have no fears..the area is fabulous..and very family-friendly..you'll see when here;) The #1 on 103rd takes 6 stops and will get you to/from Columbus Circle in about 10 min! FWIW, if you've got a bit more time, both the M104 on Broadway and the M5 on Riverside Drive will get you there as well within about half an hour (the M5 is great run by the way and is always faster coming from the UWS;-) Make sure to check out Toast and Henry's on the corner of 105th Street and Broadway! Relax..and Enjoy!

Edited: 31 October 2011, 14:21
New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Manhattan Valley (104th street and broadway)

Thanks for all your info! I am not familiar with the buses in New York at all but I'll have a look at the time tables for those mentioned.

Thanks again,

Mike

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Manhattan Valley (104th street and broadway)

My pleasure Mike:-) FWIW, we don't call them 'blocks' here..they're apartment buildings..'blocks' are what you walk;-) Keep enjoyin'!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Manhattan Valley (104th street and broadway)

Since you seem to be here already, why not go uptown for dinner and drinks nearby and see for yourself?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,261 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Manhattan Valley (104th street and broadway)

Ive been going to visit friends who live on that corner since I was a timid 22 year old, fresh out of college upstate/suburban NJ. It is fine.

suitcaseready.com

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Manhattan Valley (104th street and broadway)

Hi,

I'm currently in England but will be flying out very shortly.

Thanks anyway

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Manhattan Valley (104th street and broadway)

Have a great flight and feel free to post if you have any questions about the nabe..you picked a great area;-) ENjoyin'!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Manhattan Valley (104th street and broadway)

Note that buses in NYC have many more stops than do buses in London. It is usually safe to assume that a bus on an avenue has a stop every 2 or 3 streets, and a crosstown bus has a stop at every avenue.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Manhattan Valley (104th street and broadway)

Just to let you know that "Manhattan Valley" is 125 St and Broadway, and is an actual valley, though other than being far downhill from everywhere else, and having a train line run high above it (it is in the subway to 122 St, and without climbing becomes outdoors until about 131 St).

104 St. and Broadway is just a regular neighborhood, normal, safe and less than 1/2 mile from Columbia University, which has 116 St. and Broadway as its center. I've walked around there after 10 PM without giving it a thought, and if you're already accustomed to NYC, it's just like everywhere else other than the "famous" areas.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety in Manhattan Valley (104th street and broadway)

Contrary to NorthofDC's post, Manhattan Valley is between 96th St. and 110th St. Broadway is the far western boundary, and Central Park West is the eastern boundary. 104th St. and B'way was a pretty safe neighborhood when I attended college in the area in the bad old 1970s, and far safer today. Generally, all of Manhattan Valley is much safer than it used to be, but a couple words of caution: there is a large public housing complex to the east between W. 100th and W. 104th which I would avoid at night as well as the adjacent area of Central Park.