We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good value places to eat

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Good value places to eat

Hi

I am taking my son & daughter (17 & 21) TO New York for 4 days in April 2012 having just had a fabulous time there myself with friends. We are staying near Central Park within 10 minutes walk of Time Square but on my previous visit I struggled to find somewhere reasonable value and good to eat. Can anyone recommend a good value restaurant within the area.

Many thanks

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Good value places to eat

I love Angelo's Pizza (It's a nice sit down Italian restaurant that also has great pizza), that's located at 117 West 57th Street (between 6th and 7th), prices are very reasonable, they also have great lunch deals.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Good value places to eat

I can recommend lots of others BUT you have to answer some questions first:

Do you have a price range?

Do you have a preference on type of food?

Do you want a nice sit-down restaurant or just any place to grab good food?

Do you need to be able to walk there?

If so, why? The subway system is so quick and easy to use!

If you're sticking to walking, how far are you willing to walk for food?

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good value places to eat

Dallas BBQ http://www.dallasbbq.com/ which is a local chain is very reasonable as long as you stay awy from their "special" drinks (including their non-alcoholic ones) and their deserts. You can get a quarter chicken with potatoes & rice for $5.99 http://www.dallasbbq.com/chicken

They have a HUGE restaraunt on 42nd near Broadway as well as other locations, upper east side, upper west side, east village, etc

When I'm there with my kids I tell them we'll get desert later, somewhere else

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good value places to eat

More info is really needed. While I guess you mean good food at reasonable prices, you'll have to tell us what you mean by reasonable.

For example, Lupo, a nice (mario batalli) italian resturant in Greenwich Village has, IMHO, very reasonable prices for upscale Italian food, but will set you back about $40 Per Person, before drinks, tip extra.

At the other end There is a much cheaper resturant nearby that is dredful, so the $20 PP you pay there is certainly NOT a good value.

For best info tell us your budget for each person, if you plan have only soft drinks, only tap water (a great value here as it is free, and the water comes way upstate, so it is pretty pristine) or a bottle of wine. Do you go for appetiser, entree, and desert, or just a main course? Do you want a fancy place, or just a quick meal?. Big portions at small prices?

Get back for more, and better, info.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good value places to eat

"I struggled to find somewhere reasonable value and good to eat."

I agree: can you please give us more to go on?

What were some of the places you went to before that were not a good value? We need something to compare things to. Thanks.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good value places to eat

BTW, I ate at Dallas BBQ on 23rd street last night. Lots of food, not expensive, 3 of us ate 1 emtree amd 1 huge alcoholic drink each for $90 total including tip and tax. Food was very good, service OK, atmosphere OK, portions so huge that none of us could finish our meals.

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good value places to eat

Hi there

Thanks for the information and I'm happy to give you more info. When I was there in September we seemed to struggle to find somewhere that looked inviting with reasonable prices. The most reasonable menus seemed to be pizza/pasta but as my son is going with me this time he likes his meat and I noticed that any restaurants we did come across doing steaks etc the prices were high especially when you then add on tip & tax.

We tend to go for italian, steak,chicken, mexican or indian (not fans of chinese). We are not big drinkers so would probably stick to water or soft drinks. I was thinking around $20/$30 per person all in if thats not being a bit unrealistic.

I was looking around the area of Time Square & Central Park as it is local to the hotel and after a long day sightseeing I think we would retire to bed after the meal rather then go out again afterwards.

I would rather walk as its the best way to see everything but would happily take a taxi one night for something a bit special.

Thanks again I'm looking forward to hearing more recommendations. If you need anymore information please let me know.

My son & daughter are really looking forward to it as this will be their first visit to the USA.

Thanks again

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good value places to eat

Still not sure what you found too expensive and "not inviting," but be that as it may....

When you say $20/$30 per person, do you mean an entire meal or just hte main dish?

If you mean an entire meal (appetizer, main dish, dessert and/or drink), then your price range is a little low, but you can still find good eats at Indian, Vientamese, Thai, Latin American or Middle Eastern places, as well as old reliable coffee shops and diners.

Where are you staying exactly?

Other thoughts:

1. Look elsewhere. Restaurants in Times Square and other touristy areas are always overpriced. Restaurants around Central Park can also be pricey, especially near the museums and the classic high-rent areas of the UES and Central Park South.

2. Many famous American chains (such as Applebee's) are more costly and have lower quality in NYC than in other parts of the country. Higher rents here, and the tourists are a captive audiences who prefer the familiar, so they don't have to try hard.

3. Yes, steakhouses are expensive, but you can also get decent steaks at Latin and French places. Steaks will always cost you more, but how much more depends.

4. Re: walking everywhere: What about taking the bus if you want to stay above ground? Use your MetroCard to get around town on our "public un-narrated tours" - i.e. the MTA buses.

http://mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

And, there's always the subway.

5. " after a long day sightseeing I think we would retire to bed after the meal "

So, no eating breakfast or in the middle of the day? ;o)

6. " but as my son is going with me this time he likes his meat."

Go for a hamburger. You can pay a lot or not. Up to you.

- Shake Shack

- Big Nick's

- 5 Napkin Burger

- Burger Shoppe

- brgr

What about kabobs?

Just a few ideas....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,250 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good value places to eat

You need to go to the outskirts of the neighborhoods you are restricting yourself to, to find quality, moderate priced food.

The neighborhoods you are talking about have restaurants either targeted to tourists, or office workers during business hours who dont want to go to far to grab something. During the day, there will also be food trucks with excellent offerings. Dont be afraid of these - it's what we do to avoid paying a lot for lunch.

If you walk over to 8th or 9th Avenue (a 5 minute walk in suburban walking speed) you will have a lot more options than if you stay on Broadway/7th by Times Square - or up to Central Park.

suitcaseready.com

LINCOLNSHIRE ENGLAND
Level Contributor
114 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good value places to eat

I have eaten at Tadds steakhouse and find them good value. There is a Tadds steakhouse in Times Square. Nothing fancy - you order as you go in and choose off a menu on the wall. You can have salmon and chicken as well as steak. All meals come with salad jacket potatoes and garlic bread. They cook the steaks to your liking while you wait and then you go along a line for the salad etc and then take the food to your table. I last ate there approx 6 months ago and it was about $13 for the meal with a soda to drink. It is within easy walking distance of Central Park. I stayed at Sheraton New York Towers not far from Central Park and it is approx 15mins walk from Tadds. I also enjoyed Bubba Gumps in Times Square. This is much more 'touristy' and more expensive (approx $25 for main course) but great atmosphere, good food (if you like all things shrimp) and great views looking out over Times Square.