We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Colonial or East Village Bed and Coffee..

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
The Colonial or East Village Bed and Coffee..

Hi,

Just having a nosy around at somewhere to stay next September with the other half. Fancied staying somewhere a bit different than the "big hotels" and came across these 2 places.

The East Village Bed and Coffee came recommended by some friends, so I am quite confident it'll be rather nice. Then stumbled on the Colonial House Inn in Chelsea and it really took our fancy.

Just wondered if anyone had first hand expirience of either of them? Both the locations look wonderful, the plus on the Colonial is that it's closer to the subway.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Colonial or East Village Bed and Coffee..

Just make sure where ever you stay meets the definition of "legal" in NYC. It has become quite a problem and do not rely on the "war stories" of friends because maybe they got away with something and you won't... others here with more knowledge on these two places can comment on their status

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Colonial or East Village Bed and Coffee..

Thanks Bilmin. It has come to my attention recently about the illegal rental properties (and it's quite worrying because everyone I have told over here have no idea about it)!

I did think (and I hope I'm not wrong) that these 2 places are perfectly legal, but hopefully some kind being will be able to confirm.....?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: The Colonial or East Village Bed and Coffee..

Both are in good locations and judging from the information available; legal.

You can also check out ;

http://www.abingdonguesthouse.com/

and

http://www.gvhabitue.com/

Edited: 02 November 2011, 14:10
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Colonial or East Village Bed and Coffee..

Thanks, that's brilliant! I'll check out the other two as well!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Colonial or East Village Bed and Coffee..

As I recall most if not all of the rooms at East Village Bed & Coffee have shared bathrooms and are extremely small, basically with just enough room for a bed.

http://www.bedandcoffee.com/rooms_rates.php

The place itself is further from a subway station (10-15 mins. walk) than other options. It also doesn't get glowing reviews here.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d122017-…

So it sounds like maybe budget is the motivating factor here. Why not tell us what exactly you're looking for? There are places a short ride outside Manhattan that are nicer, with private bathroom and larger space for about the same price.

If it's just some place not a traditional hotel, there are loads of other non traditional possibilities including

Canal Park Inn

Wyman House

A Garden in Chelsea

Ivy Terrace

Jacksbandb.com

just to name a few.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Colonial or East Village Bed and Coffee..

thanks nywhiz. I guess you could say that budget is behind the motivation. We are coming for our honeymoon, and arriving in New York after a week in Vegas, so we were hoping to find something on the "cheaper side".

The reason we shortlisted Bed and Coffee was because some friends went there and recommended it. I admit the rooms do look small and we are aware of the shared bathroom, but they don't really bother us. The biggest downside for me was the distance to the subway (even though I don't mind a walk)!

I will certainly have a look at the ones you have suggested.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Colonial or East Village Bed and Coffee..

Canal Park Inn has a room with private bath and small kitchenette and includes breakfast for $179/night plus tax. Depending on how long you're staying, you might be able to beat that bidding on Priceline. Be aware that these less traditional places are stricter cancelation rules (some don't allow cancelations without a fee) and many require some sort of deposit to hold the room. There are hotels in Long Island City that are a subway ride from Manhattan that would have private bathroom and some have great views and breakfast. Have a look at the Country Inn & Suites in Long Island City.

8. Re: The Colonial or East Village Bed and Coffee..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2012, 04:18