We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday dinner for hubby with little ones?

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
116 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Birthday dinner for hubby with little ones?

This weekend we are headed to ny for a birthday weekend trip with kids 8 8 and almost 3.

Boys and hubs will spend day on the Intrepid and we will get together for dinner after.

I would love to take my husband somewhere fun for his bday dinner. Are we relegated to pizza joints and sandwich shops because of kids? Would love to have a new experience..anything BUT NOT Italian!

Any suggestions where mr and I can have a great meal and wine and would still be family friendly?

Thanks!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday dinner for hubby with little ones?

No, you're not relegated to pizza joints and sandwich shops. If you post more info such as what foods you all like and how much per person per meal you want to spend, you will get some good suggestions.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday dinner for hubby with little ones?

Google 'Ninja' restaurant - went there last week and it was fantastic - food was great, they did a magic show at the table and the Ninja's sang happy birthday to my son! Look on the web site and see their video. We tied it in with SOL day it was just a few stops further down from Batteru Park on the subway.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,389 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday dinner for hubby with little ones?

While a kid-focused theme restaurant like Ninja might be great for a certain kind of kid's celebration, I wouldn't ask an adult to spend their birthday there.

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
116 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday dinner for hubby with little ones?

Thank you for your responses..we took our sons to Ninja for their 8th birthday this summer.

We love all types of food..Korean, Thai, indian, Chinese, even a steakhouse. I did some research and Landmarc seems to fit the bill..looks a bit upscale with a decent wine list and a kids menu. Anyone try it or have something similar? Need something special..price is not important.

Thanks!

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday dinner for hubby with little ones?

Landmarc is nice..

You know your kids. As long as they can handle an adult-ish dinner, I say go for it..:) and have fun.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,129 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthday dinner for hubby with little ones?

For something extremely casual but "new yorkish", I suggest Katz or another deli.

I know my husband would welcome this over an upscale steak restaurant cuz we have those at home, delis, not so much.

Edited: 03 November 2011, 16:49
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birthday dinner for hubby with little ones?

I also highly recommend a Latin place, such as Pio Pio. Great for groups, excellent rotisserie chicken, ceviche, platanos and of course, rice and beans. Easy to share dishes.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pio-pio-8-new-york

Havana Central is kinda tourist-oriented, but it is great for groups, kids and has a party atmo:

www.yelp.com/biz/havana-central-new-york-6

I can also vouch for Landmarc as a nicer restaurant that welcomes well-behaved kids.

Katz's is a fun idea! It is noisy and busy, and kids are there often, so that might be a good idea.

Enjoy!

Edited: 03 November 2011, 18:27
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Birthday dinner for hubby with little ones?

There are lots of places you can go , after all there are 22,000 restaurants in NYC---- however if you try to march your little ones into a very nice "adult place" and you will know if you see no kids there. Then you will deserve all the scowls and comments that you get.... just make your dinner fun and appropriate and you will be fine. A good tip with that group is to head out to eat about 6pm when the adults have not thought about eating.

PS spare us the rant we always here about how "my kids never misbehave in restaurants" people like that are what contributes to the problem.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Birthday dinner for hubby with little ones?

New Yorkers tend to eat later, so just by virtue of eating in the 5 to 6 PM range you have less impact on other diners as well. When my kids were preschool age, I found that if they were appropriately rested and not over fatigued or over stimulated we could take them many places for an earlier dinner even if there were not "children's menus" (the bane of developing decent dining habits).

What 3 or 8 year old wouldn't make do with noodles of some type (as long as they were not too heavily "spiced'), part of a baked potato, rice, steamed veggies, roasted chicken, broiled fish and a hunk of bread. I usually didn't even look for an entree just for a 3 year old. I would ask for a clean plate, and put small portions from the adult plates onto theirs. Lots of variety and something familiar. I was never charged a "plate share charge" when they were that young either. Encourage them with thoughts of cake or gelato (ice cream) to come and we were usually done and out with little fuss or muss!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Birthday dinner for hubby with little ones?

…eater.com/archives/2010/07/kids_menus_worth…