We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas 2012 in NYC

Singapore
Level Contributor
615 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas 2012 in NYC

planning a trip to NYC for x'mas 2012. This will be en route back to Singapore after we're done with Walt Disney world with my 2 kids, aged 11 and 8 then.

Can someone tell me if it is likely we will see snow in nyc during that period? I plan to stay for 6 - 7nights, and must do the following:

1. statue of liberty- how soon do they open bookings for the crown tours?

2. Museum of natural history

3. central park

4. times square

5. rockefeller centre skating rink

we might just spend the rest of our time wandering around, enjoying the cold weather (since we're from the tropics). anything else which kids will enjoy?

Havent yet decided where to stay, but if anyone has recommendations for a serviced apartment with a small kitchenette in a safe and convenient location for 1 adult 2 kids, that'd be welcome too.

thanks!

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas 2012 in NYC

WOW. You are planning very far ahead! I understand though you must be excited and it sounds like this is part of a long trip so I'm sure you want to establish a little ground to stand on in advanced.

Sure, you will have time to take on a show if you so choose. I recommend the Radio City Christmas Spectacular since it is Christmas related. However, for a Broadway show... it is way to far to tell which shows will be playing. You can probably bet that Wicked will still be showing as they haven't lost any steam yet. Other than that, you will have to wait until a little bit closer to see the list of plays that will be playing while you are here. But there will defiantly be something as the way your question is phrased sounds as though your asking if there will be anything at all.

As far as full serviced apartments. Apartment rentals are not available in New York City and are likely to be a scam. Please do not look into this route. Instead, there are some apartment like hotels such as Afinia, Eastgate Tower, and the Manhattan Club to name a few that come with kitchens and seating areas. The rates you will see on the website though are "rack rates" also known as "full price." To get the bargins you will have to wait until a few months before you visit. For now, book something within your budget and that you can cancel. Then keep looking for any deals that may pop up.

*Edit: I read the line likely to see SNOW as likely to see a SHOW. LOL But, I recommend you take in a show... ;)

Edited: 05 November 2011, 02:54
Mentioned in this post
Radio City Apartments
Radio City Apartments
2,418 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Manhattan Club
The Manhattan Club
1,512 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,235 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas 2012 in NYC

I would say the chances of getting snow will be pretty good.

I second the Affinia Hotels as an option for Apt. Style Hotels w/ two children it should be enough space. I like the location of Affinia 50 the most. It is close to Rockefellar Center (Very cool place around Christmas) which is right imbetween Central Park and Times Square-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d502408-…

Eastgate is usually the least expensive of the apt style hotels but it will take you a bit longer to get to some of the midtown sites mentioned above, but it is close to Grand Central Station and the U.N.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93435-R…

For things to do around the hollidays- Ice skating among the sky scrapers in Rockefellar center (you got that), making a snowman in central park (and you kind of have that), The carolers at South Street Seaport, or any of the usually "must do's" ...

Day-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23092-Most_Com…

Night (kids also may like nutcracker)-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i22937-NYC_nigh…

You may find this out on your own but the Times Square Toy's "R" Us has a free two story ferris wheel.

Edited: 05 November 2011, 03:49
Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
116,579 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
45,612 Reviews
New York City, NY
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,366 Reviews
New York City, NY
Seaport District NYC
Seaport District NYC
809 Reviews
New York City, NY
Singapore
Level Contributor
615 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas 2012 in NYC

sounds wonderful! Thanks all

perhaps i can make it for Christmas this year?! instead of next?! :))))

Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
108 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas 2012 in NYC

We are going this Dec but booked accomodation (Affinia Dumont) in Feb. they came out with a special for a one bedroom apt for $169 per night. check out the rates on that room now (we are there Dec 8-14) and you will see wht I was happy I did! I suggext you decide what you like, book with cancellable rates and stalk the sites. I did that for all of our accomodation (NYC, Vegas, Orlando, DC and LA) and have found few go down and most go up.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas 2012 in NYC

Actually the likelyhood of snow that time of year is pretty slim-- it does happen but not usually. Sorry

6. Re: Christmas 2012 in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 August 2012, 21:05
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas 2012 in NYC

Hi,

I am from New York , but now live in Tampa. We are going to NY for Thanksgiving. I have 2 teenagers, but have taken them to NY before. I will tell you the INN on 23rd Street is great. It is expensive, but wonderful. We have stayed there 5 times and it is always great. You have use of a sitting area where breakfast is-cereal, yogurt, fruit, muffins, cake, and bagels, sometimes a quiche or hard boiled eggs. The owners are wonderful! There is a main refrigerator you can use. The subway is close by and the Chelsea area is safe and inviting. We have also stayed at the Courtyard Marriott on 53rd street. It was about $300 a night. Bryant Park on 42nd and Madison Ave is a great place to go ice skating-cheaper than Rockefeller Center-nice area and a bigger rink. Museum of Natural History-The Inn on 23rd street Gives you free passes to go there too and also other museums to go to) Go see the Origami tree. You should go to Times Square and go into Toys R Us to ride the Ferris Wheel inside. It is crowded, but fun. At Grand Central Station, you can see a free light show on the ceiling every half hour I think It is a great place to take the kids to see. In the Citicenter there are model trains(if they are still doing it) that are free to see. You can see Santa at Macy's and look at the windows. If you want to see the Statue of Liberty from a distance, take the Staten Island Ferry for 50 cents. Stay on it and ride back for free. My kids enjoyed this. It is sometimes hard to get to the Statue of Liberty with the security, but is worth it if you have time. I am not sure how far you can go up. You will need to make reservations ahead of time so go to their website. The Circle Line Cruise is a half day experience taking you through Manhattan up to the Bronx and back and is well worth it. My kids saw snow for the first time when they went to NY. We went to the Statue of Liberty and there was just enough snow to make snowballs. Maybe you will get lucky. Also at 42nd Street there is a TKTS office where you can get half price tickets the day of the show. You can ask people there what would be appropriate. We have taken our children to numerous shows. Radio City Spectacular is a must. We have gone twice with our kids. New York is magical during the Holidays and is safe as long as you use common sense. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. I can tell you about pizza places, and favorite things to eat and a great Food tour company called FOOD ON FOOT Tours. You travel on foot after taking a subway ride and eat at 5-6 place where you can share food with your family members. It is fun and you get a flavor of NY food. Highly Recommended as we have done 2 already. What is Singapore like and where would I go?

A Mom Florida- ghgh

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Bryant Park
Bryant Park
19,990 Reviews
New York City, NY
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Rockefeller Center
Rockefeller Center
21,834 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
45,612 Reviews
New York City, NY
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,366 Reviews
New York City, NY
Statue of Liberty
Statue of Liberty
36,771 Reviews
New York City, NY
Staten Island Ferry
Staten Island Ferry
19,155 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bronx
Bronx
New York
Radio City Apartments
Radio City Apartments
2,418 Reviews
New York City, NY
Florida
Florida
United States
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas 2012 in NYC

the staten island ferry is free rather than 50c.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas 2012 in NYC

Oops. Thanks for the correction.

Edited: 13 November 2012, 20:08
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews