We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in mid manhattan $250-$400 including taxes

East Aurora, New...
11 posts
Save Topic
Hotel in mid manhattan $250-$400 including taxes

Hi...been reading these boards for days trying to make a decision! Driving to NY for the Christmas Spectacular.(I'm terrified!) We will arrive around 2:00/3:00pm on Dec.12th. We will spend just one night (the 12th) and head home on the 13th. Would like to spend less than $400 including taxes for the room and no more than $100 for parking. We need 2 rooms with 2 queen beds in each room. There are 8 of us. 5 adults and 3 children (ages 10,13, and15). We will be coming in 2 cars.

We would like to visit the World Trade Center site and St. Pauls on Mon. afternoon and the tree at Rockefeller Center in the evening.

Tuesday we have Radio City Music Hall at 11:00 and anything else we can fit in before we have to leave. (Mickey Mantles, St. Patrick's, Legoland, American Girl, library, Rockefller Center)

AAA suggested the Sheraton Towers on 7th st. or the Novatel on 52nd. We also were looking at the Sheraton Harbor in Weehawken and taking the ferry over. Any suggestions? Biggest requirement is clean. Size not an issue....it's just for sleeping. Thanks in advance for any information. Penny

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in mid manhattan $250-$400 including taxes

First of all, what is it you are terrified about? I've done the drive between New York and Buffalo and the thing that terrifies me is the snowy roads out near Buffalo. Something tells me you're more scared of the much more tranquil weather and roads around here.

You have a number of options. If you're serious about saving money on parking and would like to avoid the hassle of parking in New York City, the ferry may be a very good option for you. I'm trying to be mindful of the fact that you'll need *eight* roundtrip tickets from wherever you park these two cars.

Are you interested in any of the Park and Ride locations north and west of New York City where you can safely leave the cars and get into Manhattan on a fast and frequent express bus (like Newburgh or Central Valley near Woodbury Common) or do you prefer to drive into Manhattan?

nywhiz is really the expert on hotels but it sounds like you might benefit from the additional space the Affinia Hotels can offer. nywhiz will know exactly which hotels offer two queen bedded rooms.

Once you've determined where you'd like to stay, we can discuss parking options near the hotel or just outside the city where you'd come in by bus, train, or ferry.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in mid manhattan $250-$400 including taxes

I just got done with a week in NYC, and I enjoyed the New Yorker, right near Penn Station. I had no complaints to make of housekeeping, they did a great job. And it's within walking distance of Rockefeller Center and Times Square. I made the hike repeatedly while I was in town.

Check it out at www.newyorkerhotel.com

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in mid manhattan $250-$400 including taxes

The New Yorker is a great hotel. We'd need nywhiz to let us know if they have the two Queen bedded rooms and we'd need to see if they had the availability (in the price range) for December 12th.

The advantage to The New Yorker is that it is directly across from New York Penn Station and it would be possible to park the car much more economically at Secaucus Junction train station. This would avoid the cost of parking in Manhattan and it would save the $12.00 per car toll coming into Manhattan using the Port Authority Hudson River crossings. Trains between Secaucus Junction and Penn are super fast (less than ten minutes) and super frequent.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in mid manhattan $250-$400 including taxes

According to the New Yorker Hotel, their rooms are either 1 Queen Bed or rooms with 2 Double Beds (not 2 queens).

They do have availability on December 12th for 2 Double/Double rooms, and you can get a 10% off discount booking directly through them on their website.

Good Luck!

East Aurora, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in mid manhattan $250-$400 including taxes

Oh...I'm afraid of snowy roads too! I'm afraid of going over bridges and through tunnels! I hate elevators! I'm afraid of everything! But not knowing where we're going and driving into NY terrifies me. Years ago we stayed in Lyndhurst, NJ and took a bus into the city to see the Christmas Spectacular. My children loved it and so did I. It was wonderful. About 5 years ago my daughters took me to NY on one of those 1 day bus excursions for my birthday. It was the end of November and we froze but I loved every minute of it. Hated the bus ride. This time it's the grandchildren and I can't wait to go. I'm not sure I was clear in my post but the $400 was per room, I'm not trying to find 2 rooms for $400. If I did, I'd be afraid to stay there! Do we need to pay more than $400 per room and I thought the hotels had valet parking? Is it obvious I have no clue what I'm doing?

Edited: 05 November 2011, 22:28
6. Re: Hotel in mid manhattan $250-$400 including taxes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 November 2011, 17:45
California
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in mid manhattan $250-$400 including taxes

I'm meeting up with some friends in Dec who are driving in from NJ and they're staying at the Skyline because it's apparently pretty easy to drive to, they have large rooms with 2 queen beds, and cheap (or free?) parking for about $250/nt.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in mid manhattan $250-$400 including taxes

Yes, The Skyline Hotel (skylinehotelny.com) is offering a "winter special" rate for a room with 2 queen beds on your December date for $239.20. With taxes it will total 277.98 These rooms and baths are spacious and well kept. Parking is only $10 and while check out is at noon, you can keep the car there until 3:pm at no extra charge. There is also an indoor swimming pool. The only possible disadvantage I can see is that the hotel is a bit far west on 10th Avenue between 49th and 50th, but it would only be about a 15 minute walk east on 50th Street to Radio City Music Hall. Less time to the nearest subway stop.

Edited: 06 November 2011, 06:28
East Aurora, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel in mid manhattan $250-$400 including taxes

Thank-you MoreFFmiles, LadyAmanita, VTJedi, Bean3, Kitty55, basingstoke for your responses. You are very kind. The Affinia, Skyline and New Yorker all look like good possibilities. I was also looking at the Staybridge Suites, has anyone stayed there? I looked at the Kimberly....so pretty but a tad too much.

My husband has decided he can drive into NYC. He drove in Boston and figured it can't be much worse. I reminded him of how we circled the state house five times but it didn't seem to deter him. So when you see a car with a frazzled gray haired old lady beating an old man being followed by a minivan of screaming kids, please point the way to our hotel. Oh well, gotta give him E for effort (or S for stupid).

Question...when the AAA Tourbook says no self parking, does that mean there is valet parking? I'm starting to narrow down some of the hotels. I think we'll have to spend a little more on our rooms than I anticipated, but that's OK. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Have a good evening! Penny

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel in mid manhattan $250-$400 including taxes

Penny,

I would check out Eastgate Towers as they have large apartment style rooms that may suit. we stayed in one with 2 queen beds and the other with a king bed. There was a Sofa bed in the very large lounge but it was not particularly comfortable but if the kids were happy with it or you take blow up bed (if travelling by car) then you could perhaps get off with this and a standard room. There is a parking garage right across from it, not sure if they offer discounts to guests. We flew in/out.