We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC Recommendations? 12/13/2011 - 12/24/2011

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
NYC Recommendations? 12/13/2011 - 12/24/2011

Me and my brother will be visiting NYC as a christmas gift from our parents. Its his birthday on Christmas day and I want to give him a memorable gift for his birthday. We are staying in times square and I was wondernig if anyone has any ideas of things to do or hidden gems of the tourist trail for when we are there. We will be there December 13th until 24th. Thanks in advance.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
822 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC Recommendations? 12/13/2011 - 12/24/2011

Bekola, what kind of hidden gems are you looking for? Are you interested in museums? Live music? Visiting neighborhoods outside of Times Square? If you do a search here for "hidden gems" there are lots of threads you can brows through if you aren't really sure what you want:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=5&geo=60763&scope=2&q=hidden+gems&returnTo=__2F__

NY
Level Contributor
781 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC Recommendations? 12/13/2011 - 12/24/2011

Hi Bekola,

The choices are endless. Hole-o-matic is a great show on Saturday night and their website is www.holeomatic.com. The show is near Times Square.

www.menupages.com can give you ideas on restaurants. I recommend a 1 week subscription to www.clubfreetimecom when you are there. It will list free concerts, walking tours, and sometimes there are very low prices on Off-Broadway shows for Club Free time members. The Paley Center, previously called The Museum of Television and Radio, gives you the chance to relive old classics.

You may be interested in a walking food tour and one website is walkingtoursmanhattan.com/index.php/tours/23… There may be other tours like this as well.

Have a great trip and let us know how it goes.

Ireland
Level Contributor
453 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC Recommendations? 12/13/2011 - 12/24/2011

Why don't you buy him a gift in American Eagle and then get your picture put up on the big electronic bill board outside the store :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC Recommendations? 12/13/2011 - 12/24/2011

I think it would be helpful to know how old you and bro are. Answers for an 18 yr old would be very different than for a 25 yr old (I think). Also, your budget for the gift and what he likes.

accomplicenewyork.com

is something a lot of people have enjoyed...part street theater, part scavenger hunt, part tour.

If he likes food

asliceofnewyork.com

does a pizza tour in Brooklyn

foodsofny.com

noshwalks.com

does walking tours where you get to sample different foods.

There are hip hop tours...you get the idea. Tell us more.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC Recommendations? 12/13/2011 - 12/24/2011

OOOOPS. Wrong link for the pizza tour

http://asliceofbrooklyn.com/

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC Recommendations? 12/13/2011 - 12/24/2011

I am 23 and he will be 25 on Christmas Day so its proving harder each year to get him something. Hes really into the fire service so we are already going to the FDNY station while we are there.

I didnt even know you could do the billboard picture, that is going to be the first thing I do! :0)

Thanks for all the ideas! I think Im definately taking him on a pizza tour as I should imagine thats all he will eat for the 10 days we are there.

Thanks again

7. Re: NYC Recommendations? 12/13/2011 - 12/24/2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2012, 10:25