We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attire for New York City Broadway Play?

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
82 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Attire for New York City Broadway Play?

My wife and I will be in New York City and attending a Broadway Play on Saturday evening.

What is the attire to attend a Broadway Play?

Sport coat and tie?, Dark suit?

Also, we are staying at the Hilton on West 57th, any suggestions for pre-theater dinner in the area?

Thanks in advance,

Travel for Fun 76

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,332 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attire for New York City Broadway Play?

If you want to dress up, you can - and there will be other people dressed that way. More casual is OK too.

Suitcaseready.com

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,158 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Attire for New York City Broadway Play?

Business casual is standard. You will see people dressed both more formally and more casually.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attire for New York City Broadway Play?

I agree that business casual is appropriate. You will, however, see all sorts.

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
744 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attire for New York City Broadway Play?

I remember when it was strictly suits for men and dresses for women but now pretty much anything goes. At the theater just last week we saw some in ratty jeans and sneakers which I personally find disrespectful.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attire for New York City Broadway Play?

I have been to dozens of plays, and have to say that now a days, people wear whatever they want. Casual wear is fine.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attire for New York City Broadway Play?

More important than dress, these days, is behavior.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c1146/New-York…

THEATRE ETIQUETTE:

Unlike seeing a video in the privacy of your own home, everyone can see, hear and smell you in live theater. Please respect the actors, musicians, dancers, the theatre staff and your fellow theatre-goers by following these simple guidelines:

* show up on time, maybe even five minutes early

* be clean and hygienic, try to moderate your cologne usage

* go to the restroom beforehand (especially with kids)

* turn off cell phones, pagers and other electronic devices.* don't send IMs or email during the show on cell phones or Blackberries

* don't talk or sing along during the show

* don't kick the seat of the person in front of you

* don't bring large packages or shopping bags with you. Leave them at home, the office or at your hotel.

* don't unwrap noisy wrappers during the performance.

Seriously, PLEASE DON'T IM, TEXT, OR IN ANY WAY USE YOUR MOBILE PHONE during a performance.

* It's your money. Didn't you pay to see this show?

* If you are bored or not interested, then leave the theater. Wait for your group somewhere else. You're not strapped into your seat.

* If your kids are not able to sit through the show, or are not interested, take them out. You probably should not have bought them tickets anyway.

* Even if you don't want to see the show, I do. The light from your phone is visible and annoying.

* If you continue to use your phone, I will turn around and tell you to stop. Please take this personally and put away your phone.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attire for New York City Broadway Play?

MML1 - Disrespectful to whom?

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Attire for New York City Broadway Play?

eriskay - the performers. They can see you, you know.

The Broadway show, "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" had an audience participation section. They would recruit folks in the lobby before the show to come up on stage and spell words in the bee.

One of the jokes was how they introduced the volunteers. Inevitably, there was one like ths: "Here's Sally Jones, from Bayside, Queens. Usually she dresses really well, but this morning she said, "when I go to a Broadway show, I make sure I wear my best tank top and sweatpants!!"

http://www.spellingbeethemusical.com/

Edited: 07 November 2011, 18:42
Mentioned in this post
Queens
Queens
New York
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,289 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Attire for New York City Broadway Play?

I'm going to add a 2 new items to the etiquette list.

a. Please sit back in your seat. When you lean forward the person behind you can't see and then they lean forward and back and back and back.

b. The seats in the theater are usually designed for each person to look between the two people in front of you. When you and your partner decide to sit with your heads close together you are creating a wall for the person behind you.

AND I need to reiterate--the cellphone light from your texting is annoying!! It is also, btw illegal to record shows--even on your cellphone!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Attire for New York City Broadway Play?

I agree. Its disrespectful to not only the performers but to other guests. Think about it, a couple from Texas is in town and they have always wanted to see a Broadway play. As most tourist do, they dress up and go out to dinner prior, making a special night of it. They take their seats only to see that the people beside them are dressed in jeans, dirty sneakers, and probably a t-shirt from a sports team. Not appropriate. The actors and other patrons deserve some respect and to disregard the fact that this is a nice event by wearing your "street clothes" is not cool. But its happening more and more unfortunately.

And adding on to rdglady, do not move around a lot in your seat. I have seen a lot of couples snuggling and nuzzling. Literally, moving every 30 seconds to stroke each others hair. It's distracting.

Edited: 07 November 2011, 18:53