We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

With thanks to all who advised

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
With thanks to all who advised

Thank you to all who gave me the fantastic advice for my family's trip 22-28

October - it was really helpful and added to the build up. Brooklyn Mel; Cocklegrove; Red White and Blue; and Queens Boulevard - you are so kind and knowledgeable I can't thank you enough.

It was our first trip and an 18th birthday surprise for our son.

I laughed out loud when we approached manhattan in a yellow cab (avoided the touts as advised!) - when I saw the sign for Queens Boulevard - reminded me of trip advisor!

Our days briefly included

Day 1

China Town, Statue of Liberty Crown which was incredible, passed by the sphere and paid our respects. That evening had great meal at Ninja - magic show and special 'fire' dishes were a big hit with our teenagers (and us!).

Day 2; Macys - blown away with the view of empire state when we emerged from the subway. Then back to china town and Wooster Ink where my 18 year old spent all his birthday money on a much awaited tattoo - great group of people. The shop was spotless and he is delighted with his tattoo - we get the show in England and he had photos taken with the artists. Had a Chinese in a cafe/supermarket place but can't remember the name. Then back to base wash n brush up then times square and how to succeed - would highly recommend, in fact the best show we've ever seen - we still occasionally break into song 'if I can't take my coffee break.......' ha ha!

Day 3 - Top of the Rock 10.30 am pre booked on Internet, no queue - can't describe the feeling when we emerged from the lift - unbelievable, in fact we had considered a helicopter ride on this trip but didn't need to - view from here was awesome and you could stay as long as you wanted. Had frozen yoghurt in NBC store which we'd never had before - lovely! Saw Ice skaters, went to Fao Swartz and bought a snow glove from saks - walked back along Park Avenue to Bedford Hotel. Then out again to Times Square that evening where we met some friends from Uk.

Day 4

Went to the memorial which we felt was very respectfully done, said some prayers, filled up with tears many times. We paid our deepest respects to all those involved.

Went to Federal Reserve and did the tour which I would highly recommend - saw the gold bars!!

Nipped into Century 21 which was madness!! Then walked through occupy wall street - what an experience, our boys-loved it! Then exhaustion Took over and my planned Brooklyn bridge walk was boycotted by our boys - can't say I blame them we were worn out - went back to base for an early night. And enjoyed watching the news about occupy wall street!

Day 5. - hired a car and drove to Nazareth to do the Martin Guitar Factory tour - trip was superb and we loved Nazareth. So different to NYC, great to see the houses decked out for Halloween. Then back to NYC, quick rest then times square Bubba Gump which was a good meal then madame toussauds (I know!); and finally empire state at 11.00 pm to see new York in lights - again unbelievable, who needs a helicopter ride?!

Last day  up and out to Central Park had a snack at Tavern on the Green, being from Liverpool wanted to see Dakota and Strawberry Fields, saw the skaters and Bethesda Fountain and had a hot dog, it was wonderful and the colours were starting to change for fall. Got a Manicure on the way back and left for

the airport at 4!

We loved the subway and the random singers who appeared, the steam coming from the man holes, the taxi's and NYPD, the hooting of horns; the cheap deli's with great food, the chilli dogs from the vendors, the New York accents the sky scrapers and the different feel of neighbourhoods.

Most of all the fantastic people of New York who were wonderful - we felt safe and welcome - the Best holiday ever - and more so thanks to this site.

New York we  you!!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: With thanks to all who advised

You're welcome!! See? There is a real Queens Boulevard behind the legend!

Thanks for the happy recap and congrats on a successful trip. Your enthusiasm comes through in your report!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: With thanks to all who advised

Sounds like you had a memorable time -superb!!

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: With thanks to all who advised

Groov, that's a really interesting and enjoyable read. As QB says, your enthusiasm comes through on your trip report.

It really brought me back to my own trips and I was walking beside you all the way.

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
277 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: With thanks to all who advised

Heya Groov,

Loved the TR, getting me more and more excited about our trip in April 2012.

One question, was it hard to get a booking at Wooster?? Im contemplating getting one done there and if Im not too chicken sounds like a good place to do it, hopefully by Meagan if she is there.

Matty

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: With thanks to all who advised

Thank you for the nice comments.

Hi Matty - Wooster Ink - this is a difficult one because we rang to book but were told 'walk in's' only and on the website it says opens at 11 am - but we got there on the Friday morning at 11 and they were filming and we were asked to go back the next day - which messed up our plans a bit.

We went back at 12 noon on Saturday and asked what he wanted, we were then asked to go back an hour and a half later to get it done. When we got back there was a long wait - about 3 hours, before the tattoo was started! We left at about 6 pm but had to alter our plans and just managed to eat and see the show we'd booked.

We hadn't anticipated what a chunk of the day it would take. Having said that his tattoo is incredible, the detail is amazing. Megan was there but she was tattooing someone who had been before, she was so nice and had photo's taken with my son. Tommy Montoya arrived and again so nice he chatted with my son and took an interest in his tattoo. My son had his done by Guy Wiseman and he is delighted with his tattoo. It was good to go and seeing the characters from the show, it was spotlessly clean and a memorable experience. Hope that help!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
511 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: With thanks to all who advised

Great enthusiastic report. Especially love your last two paragraphs-sums it up. One week to go for me.....

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: With thanks to all who advised

Enjoyed your report. Well done.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: With thanks to all who advised

What a great read! I love it when people come to visit and have such a blast! When's the family's next trip, eh?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: With thanks to all who advised

Aarrrhh thank you!

Ceannain - is this your first visit? Prepare to be amazed there really is something magical about the place.

Sasha57 - it's like when you've read an amazing book and feel like you'll never read one as good again. We thought this would be a once in a lifetime holiday - but will defo be back, we'd sooner forego a few holidays just to see New York again! We think we might try and include Vegas next time.

10. Re: With thanks to all who advised

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2012, 05:18