We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

aussies in new york for thanksgiving

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
aussies in new york for thanksgiving

We are a family of four (daughters 17 &20) in New York for Thanksgiving. What should we do and where is a good place for us to eat to experience a traditional thanksgiving?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: aussies in new york for thanksgiving

What should we do? What do you mean by that? Many restaurants will be sderving T'giving dinners - check the FAQ's and use the search function on the site s for a lot of previous information that has been submitted on the subject.

Thanksgiving is the MOST POPULAR holiday in the US - so if stuff is closed that's why.

Poppa

www.suitcaseready.com

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: aussies in new york for thanksgiving

Info on Thanksgiving meals here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4911054…

If you've got more questions after reading that & doing some research, post back with more detailed request (ie budget, location etc.)

As for what to do....here's what was open last year

newyorkology.com/archives/2010/11/open_thank…

Your options are endless...parade, Radio City Xmas show, a Broadway show

playbill.com/celebritybuzz/article/154076-Br…

walking the Xmas windows at the stores

…about.com/od/…bl_xmaswindows.htm

Top of the Rock, Staten Island Ferry ....what do you want to do?

Warwick, New York
Level Contributor
135 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: aussies in new york for thanksgiving

Well, I definitely suggest watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. You can find all the information you'll need, including the route online I'm sure. I've seen it in person before and it's so cool! But if you're going to watch it, I suggest getting a spot on the route at least an hour before the parade starts if not more.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: aussies in new york for thanksgiving

wow poppa, calm down.

sometimes it is easier to ask then to search for the answer,

but for the novice snookie with 3 posts, i must say that i have never gone out to eat on thanksgiving, i think most people get together with their family and eat at somebody's house and not at a restaurant, and i am usually having the family get together, so i never go out to see what restaurants are open.

i am sure there will be restaurants open in the city that never sleeps.

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: aussies in new york for thanksgiving

I did not wish to offend perhaps I did not express myself very well. We are not complaining about things being shut quite the opposite we think it is a fabulous opportunity to experience such a special holiday and I was wanting to know the best things to do to get a feeling of your thanksgiving celebration.

I have been doing some research and will continue to do so. We will definitely enjoy the Thanksgiving Parade.

Happy Thanksgiving Poppa

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: aussies in new york for thanksgiving

Thanks Whiz fantastic information it will certainly make our decision for dinner easier and Specs 1624 we are looking forward to the parade thanks for the heads up. Thanks linatoday for your support. Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving!

Austin, TX
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: aussies in new york for thanksgiving

we will also be in town that week and have used Opentable.com as a resource for restaurants open Thanksgiving.Their listings provide both cost and menu's. I think you will find it helpful.

www.opentable.com/promo.aspx…

have a wonderful trip!

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,123 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: aussies in new york for thanksgiving

The parade begins at 9am but people grab seats at least an hour before (a good plan is to grab coffee/tea and a pastry/muffin (maybe at Whole foods or Buchon Bakery at the Time Warner Center in Colmbus Circle) then go get a seats early even before 8ish.

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Public Viewing Areas

Central Park West: West side of street from 70th Street to Columbus Circle & east side of street from 70th to 65th

Columbus Circle: West side of street

7th Avenue: between 58th & 42nd Streets

42nd Street: from 7th to 6th Avenues

6th Avenue: between 42nd & 34th Streets

The official site-

social.macys.com/parade2011/…

Of the choices for a traditional meal (eating out) I love "Rock Center Cafe"-it has a view of the skating rink in Rockefellar Center and real gets you in a feastive mood (plus the meal is always good too) I would hurry though most reservations left are either eary or late diner, but still worth it.

Enjoy!

Edited: 10 November 2011, 02:38
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,317 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: aussies in new york for thanksgiving

Every few years I go out with my Dad for Thanksgiving to a restaurant ... it's a great alternative to having to organize a big dinner. I know the Atlantic Grill does a Thanksgiving dinner, and many other good midrange restaurants do.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: aussies in new york for thanksgiving

When someone asks what should we do - what would your answer be?

Very vague - as for dining - the SEARCH function is underused by posters - and Believe it or don't - I am calm.

It's just that I tell it like it is - and it is a day for families - OP received some good advice - Happy Thanksgiving to all those who celebrate the holiday and if you do not, FESTIVUS is on the horizon. lighten up folks - this is the internet - sometimes I wonder if it is real life....

Poppa

www.suitcaseready.com

Edited: 10 November 2011, 05:02