We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best beer

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
best beer

in your opinions what is the best beet or lager on sale in nyc and the best price so i can try when i go again

I had brooklyn beer last time sorry to say it was'nt for me yuk stock to cors at $4 so not bad

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best beer

Hehe Coors... the beer connoisseurs on here will love that lol. What exactly did you try from the Brooklyn Brewery last time though? I wasn't a huge fan of their lager but their ales were top notch :-)

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: best beer

you preferred Coors to Brooklyn lager - well you are not much of a beer conniseuuer, eh?

Best beer - everyone has their own opinion as you have just demonstrated.

It seems you prefer the lighter beers......

An old story - American goes into a pub in the UK and ask the barkeep for the closest thing he has that resembles an American beer.

Barkeep serves the American a glass of water......

Coors, Bud, Bud Light we call them lawnmower beers, something to quench thirst after yard work - Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada and other craft beers are meant to be sipped, savored and enjoyed.

You'll just have to try some different brands - I drink a lot of Stella Artois and always have Sam Adams seasonal on hand. And Brooklyn Lager is my choice when I'm in the City, because I know it is fresh.

Poppa

Edited: 10 November 2011, 15:30
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best beer

sorry typo coors

It was a draft larger i think very malty like the colour of bitter or a golden in the uk

oh i do like a nice pint and reg drink a cask pint back home but i just couldnt take to that

as say all taste differ cheers poppa

Edited: 10 November 2011, 15:33
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,348 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best beer

It is silly to ask us our opinion on the best beer, when clearly your taste is going to be different from most people's. If you like Coors, stick to it.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best beer

I loved Brooklyn Lager I must admit as well as a Long Island Toasted Lager which was very nice too.

I did try to have the local brews rather than Coors, Bud etc where I could.

I agree with BB - if you like Coors, then stick with that.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best beer

"Best" requires an analysis of the styles of beer that you like. My buddy likes a crisp hoppy Belgian Ale. myself, I prefer a malty, chocolatey stout. That said, there is a strong brewing tradition in NYC. Here are some local products which should be sampled.

The Brooklyn Brewery: The lager is great, their ales are amazing and the Dark Chocolate Stout is sick. Lots of great products to choose from. Also, they are open to the public [Williamsburg BK] on Friday nights and weekend afternoons. Worth a trip.

Six Point Craft Ales: The pride of Red Hook, Brooklyn. Great local beer. For hop heads, their Bengali Tiger is awesome. Complex flavor with a good hop nose.

Kelso: Another BK product - made in Greenpoint. Their Brown Ale is pretty good. I often end up with a Kelso in my hand at Fette Sau. It just goes great with ribs and brisket.

Captain Lawrence: The Captain is out of Pleasantville in Westchester. This innovative brewery makes all sorts of great things. Their IPAs are duly noted as worthy - but for me, their smoked porter is the real deal. If you get a chance - the Nor'Easter clocks in at something like 15 % ABV. YOW.

Ommegang: A Belgian brewery right in NYS. This brewery - located near Cooperstown is the NY branch of Duvel. From Whit up on through Three Philosophers - everything that they make was done with craft and care.

In short, there are lots of great NY beers that are worthy of consumption. Now, don't let me catch you drinking a Bud or Coor Light [is that even considered beer?].

One more thing - drink responsibly as nobody loves a sloppy drunk on the subway.

Cheers,

MEL

Glasgow
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best beer

Get yourself down to the Bierhaus on 3rd Ave, at 45th Street and try a stein of Hofbrau. Amazing.

http://bierhausnyc.com/

G

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best beer

Hola.

For us, this is a “no contest” question as the Gramercy Tavern is one of our neighborhood favorites. It is a community “institution” with a tremendous LOCAL following at 42 East 20th Street and has excellent food and great wines, and even BETTER BEERS. For more information, see:

http://www.gramercytavern.com

That said, for a “close second” we also recommend the Broome Street Bar at 363 West Broadway (and Broome Street). It is a Soho institution with great beers (and a lot of them) and we have been enjoying them for almost 40 years. For more information, see:

http://broomestreetbar.ypguides.net/

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,274 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best beer

Six Point - or any of BrooklynMel's recos... Until M4RK weighs in...

Negra Modelo will do in a pinch since I cant get Belikin Stout here.

suitcaseready.com

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best beer

I'm not weighing in. It's fine if you don't like a beer, but saying it is "yuk" is offensive to me and my beer snobishness. ;)

I enjoyed a nice Ommegang Abbey Ale last night, in a bar in Euston. At 8.5% and a really nice tasting beer, I think it's far too superior for the OP to drink.

What I will suggest is that the OP looks at the local breweries that Mel has mentioned, and maybe find a Pilsner, which will be infinitely better than said Coors Light. Most bars in NYC serve Stella Artois these days, and still a glass of fizzy pop, is still better than Coors.

M