We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on my rough itinerary!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions on my rough itinerary!

Hi there!

I have come up with a rough guide for what we want to do on our long weekend in New York, my parents, my husband and I are travelling together, and it's everyone's first time here.

Any helpful comments or constructive criticism welcome, perhaps even a few suggestions on nice places to eat so we visit some different areas.

Our hotel is Midtown East.

Day one

Cab from airport.

Two options here due to check in time (not decided on best option here) - either get dropped off somewhere near times square and go for lunch first, then head to the hotel closer to check in time or go to hotel and try to get storage for bags, then head out.

Head to south ferry terminal and get the Staten Island ferry across and back to see the Statue of Liberty.

Afterwards walk from there towards Battery Park, and then onwards towards the September 11th memorial.

Head back to the hotel and then at night I've made a provisional booking with Tribeca Grill for dinner.

Can you recommend any nice bars for drinks and cocktails around here?

Day two

Shopping on 5th Avenue, detour to stop at TOTR, then continue with the shopping! (is early morning a good time or are we better doing this at night? Our plan was just to turn up rather than pre-book)

Arrive at The Plaza for some lunch in the champagne bar.

After lunch have a walk through central park towards American Museum of Natural History.

Evening: No idea for dinner and drinks - suggestions welcome. Don't want anything too formal, but still somewhere nice.

Day three

Early start to walk across the Manhattan Bridge to Brooklyn and get breakfast at one of the riverside cafes.

Walk back across the Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan.

Get the subway (what station is around this area?) to Central Park and take a walk through the park.

Head to Times Square for a look around and then grab lunch at either times square or central park.

Evening: pre-dinner cocktails at Marriot Marquis View restaurant, it revolves and gives you good views over times square (would have said have dinner here but it's not had the best reviews for food recently)

Evening: No idea for dinner and drinks - suggestions welcome. Don't want anything too formal, but still somewhere nice.

Sunday

Check out from our hotel is 12 but plane not til late evening.

Wanted quite a relaxed day with not too much walking since we will have cases.

Plan was for my dad and husband to head to Jack Dempsey's for lunch time whilst mum and I head to cinema to see the new Twilight film! (are cinema recommendations?)

Ok as I said it's a rough guide at the moment - but suggestions for restaurants and bars welcome, as well as where tweaks might be made.

We do want to do quite a bit of walking but wherever you think the distance is too far, we would be happy to take the subway.

Thanks in advance!!

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on my rough itinerary!

BUMP!

You'll be quite tired from the flight on day 1, so take that into account.

Day 2 - some kind of show in the evening?

Final day - the hotel could keep your bags till it's time to take a cab to the airport, so you might be able to do a bit more sightseeing..

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,082 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on my rough itinerary!

Go do your hotel first and drop the bags. It will give you more flexibility if you aren't dragging bags with you ....

In my opinion you are spending too much time in the same places. Central Park is GREAT and you can't see it all in a day ... but you are a first timer with limited time so why go to Central Park on two separate days?

Also ... Times Square ... lunch on day 1, lunch on day 3, before dinner on day 3 ... OVER KILL!!! Why go for lunch and then BACK for drinks? Do the pre-dinner drinks and the Marriott (or go later at night for dessert) and see Times Square lit up in all it's glory ... once is enough when there's so many other things to see.

How about just "winging it" for one meal... find somethign that looks interesting and walk on in ... how about visting an art museum, or a broadway show or an off broadway show or finding someplace with live music? Or a visit to the Tenement Museum or a meal in an authentic old-style delicatessen like Katz's or Stage?

Just my two cents ... ultimately, it's your vacation so do what pleases you most. ;)

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on my rough itinerary!

Which airport you coming into? Newark or JFK? What's you arrival time? When you going? This may affect the advice on what to do.

We did TOTR last month just before sunset and would recommend that if you can arrange it. You may be able to get vouchers at your hotel for money off TOTR.

Have you pre-booked the 9/11 memorial?

I would recommend going in past Grand Central Terminal at some point. There are restaurants overlooking the concourse as well as a food court level for snack or quick bite.

Its a very long time since I have been at the Tribeca Grill. When i went the area was pretty dodgy but it has been transformed since then and I am sure there will be someone able to advise on local places .

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on my rough itinerary!

What about Scotty;s diner for breakfast on your last day? Its on Lexington Ave just north of 39th st.

Carnegie Deli is another worthwhile option but warning - portions are massive. one evening or lunchtime. If you like to walk then i like to wander around the upper west side and see Zabars and the other delis up that way.

Yoiu could do this when you are up at the Natural History museum.

Another spot you may be interested in is south st Seaport and Wall St is pretty close to it if you want to see it. You may want to work this in to your time downtown. You could take the subway over to Brooklyn if you preferred to allow a stroll round Wall St..

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on my rough itinerary!

Thanks for all the advice!

We fly into Newark and get in around 11am.

We have prebooked the Sept 11th Memorial tickets.

We aren't really bothered about seeing a Broadway show or going to an art museum, we are interested in the natural history museum but our focus was more just nice areas, restaurants and bars to visit.

Thanks again!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions on my rough itinerary!

Personally I wouldn't do the cinema as it seems a waste when your in new York - why not see the film on your return?

We did central park on our last day - (left for airport at 4). It was a nice relaxing way to reflect, take it all in and we had coffee n brownies in The Tavern - lovely! Also we were quite fresh and relaxed for the rigmarole of the airport.

We did the free tour of Federal Reserve Bank (just google) which we really enjoyed - you need to pre book.

We pre bought TOTR and Empire State tickets from Go Select - downloaded from Internet - did TOTR by day and Empire State by night - glad we did both.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions on my rough itinerary!

Scotrocker, pop in to the visitor center just beside the 9/11 memorial and St Pauls as well. Union Sq is another option for you on the last day.

You will probably not be at your hotel till after 1pm so hopefully you will be able to check in rather than just leave your bags.

Have a great trip.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions on my rough itinerary!

after all this is Braodway--the shows are great--id see at least 1--being your from UK Id see War Horses.Id see TOTR as well--great way to see NYC skyline. And MOMA isnt just any museum--its fantastic and im not a museum goer--just spend a couple hours.The walk across the bridge is nice but itll eat up alot of time--id find something else to do in the city and do that next time

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions on my rough itinerary!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, it's helped me to see where a few tweaks can be made.

More or less happy with what we are doing, but will make a few tweaks so that we see Times Square at night and don't visit the same place too many times.

Would rather see the film than go to the theatre, it's a tradition for my mum and I; we've seen the other films in different countries all over the world. We also have a trip to London planned at the start of next year where we are specifcally going to see shows, it's really not my dad and husband's cup of tea, neither are the museums, with the exception of the natural history museum.

Thanks again!

Very excited now... only a couple of days to go! :)

10. Re: Suggestions on my rough itinerary!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2012, 10:27