We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK visitors seek antidote to Manhattan

Norwich
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
UK visitors seek antidote to Manhattan

Is there a pretty/interesting New England town just a few hours train ride from Manhattan that would be a good contrast to the challenges of NYC in August? I'm trying to plan a trip with my two teenagers in 2012. We've never been to the States before and sadly only have limited time and money to spare (10 days and £3000 max including flights). We want to see all the sights of manhattan first, staying in an a central hotel/apartment (any suggestions?), but we'd also like to sample a different environment and pace of life out of town for 2-3 days. Is there anywhere worth visiting that has rail good connections to NYC and JFK, and is easy to navigate without a car?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,219 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK visitors seek antidote to Manhattan

I'd vote for boston, massachusetts. Easy to access by air (1 hr) or rail (4.5 hrs). Lots to see and do. easy city to see on foot. Lots of history here including that bit about dumping british tea in the harbor

Edited: 11 November 2011, 22:41
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
783 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: UK visitors seek antidote to Manhattan

You might consider Burlington, Vermont:

http://www.vermont.org/visiting/index.aspx

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,971 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK visitors seek antidote to Manhattan

You might consider a day at City Island.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK visitors seek antidote to Manhattan

I like upstate New York, West Point area in particular. If your kids are outdoor types then they could maybe do some stuff on the Hudson. The scenery up there is breath taking IMO. You can get a train from Grand Central Terminal but I would pick up a car if I was doing this. The Woodbury Commoms Outlet center is 20 mins from there too so "kids" may enjoy that too. We generally stay with relatives but have stayed at the Thayer Hotel by the Military academy but that was a few years ago. We had a great room once and a dire room the other time. Location was worth it as we were there in the fall and the colours of the trees and the views were amazing.

Norwich
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK visitors seek antidote to Manhattan

Thanks - Boston is a definite maybe, though not sure if two major cities would be enough of a contrast...

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,680 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK visitors seek antidote to Manhattan

I second Burlington, vt. Beautiful town on Lake Champlain. Lots of nearby attractions to do with the kids.

Shelburne Museum is an outstanding, and fun, learning experience.

Ben and Jerry's Ice cream factory tour.

Vermont Teddy Bear Factory.

Sunset Drive in movie theatre. A must do in the US

Lake Champlain Chocolate Factory

Downtown Burlington for shopping, dining and strolling.

I took my 12 year old and her best friend this summer and we had a blast. Stayed at the the Residence Inn Colchester, easy drive to everything and a great hotel and location to drive to everything. A really nice slice of small town America.

Also found a real American diner, Libby's Blueline Diner, just near the hotel. Great diner food and another "American" experience the kids loved.

Norwich
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK visitors seek antidote to Manhattan

Burlington sounds great - and delicious!

Just what we're looking for I think. Could you or anyone recommend somewhere central to stay? (As we won't have a car.)

Edited: 12 November 2011, 00:10
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,680 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK visitors seek antidote to Manhattan

Hmmm with no car it will not be nearly as much fun. You will find in the USA things are spread out more than in the UK, and public transit is not nearly as efficient unless you are in a city.

Central would be the Marriot Courtyard Burlington, easy walk to all things downtown. But not to most of the activities I mentioned, they are each about 15-30 mins from downtown. The chocolate factory is walking distance, but a long walk.

If you want to take public transport, bus or train, to a place with activities for a family I am a bit more stumped. It may be that more of a seas side break could be a better fit, maybe taking the Long Island Railroad out to a small beach community and enjoying the sights there,

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,162 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK visitors seek antidote to Manhattan

An antidote to Manhattan? Well, that is easy, thats Brooklyn. You don't even have to leave New York City.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,219 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UK visitors seek antidote to Manhattan

"We want to see all the sights of manhattan first, staying in an a central hotel/apartment (any suggestions?)"

For the "apartment" part, I can make a definite suggestion to read the link on the right side of this page titled "Why are vacation apartment rentals in New York City a bad idea?".

For hotel recommendations, I suggest giving your exact dates of travel, nightly budget in US dollars, and how many beds required.