We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starting Point in SoHo, etc. for Indie Shopping

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Starting Point in SoHo, etc. for Indie Shopping

We are planning our first trip to New York City over Christmas break. My 15 year old daughter would like to do some shopping while we are there. She is into indie/hipster clothing (things you can't find in the chain stores), so we were planning on going to SoHo, the West Village, Chelsea, etc. The question is, where is a good starting point in each of these areas (what subway stop should we exit). We are staying at the New York Palace Hotel, if that helps.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starting Point in SoHo, etc. for Indie Shopping

1. You can use www.hopstop.com to get subway directions. You can also use www.maps.google.com and select the "bus" icon for transit directions. Simply enter your hotel and then "Soho".

The main subways stations transversing Soho are Prince Street, Bleecker Street, Broadway/Lafayette Street and Houston Street.

2. Actually, Soho has sadly become an outdoor mall, a far cry from the alternative-indy-artistic stronghold it once was. (That trendy outdoor shopping market in Malibu was designed to resemble what Soho is today.)

Example:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2654319… Soho_shopping_with_teenage_girls-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4043501… Shopping_in_soho_or_nolita-

You should stroll through Soho anyway, since the streeets are very cool and the architecture is awesome, but you'll find stores like the Apple Store, Vera Wang and Nicole Miller.

Soho still has awesome street vendors, too. Lots of handmade jewelry, scarves, crafts and art pieces. Just walk around Spring, Prince and Broome.

3. Don't go on the weekend. It's a madhouse. Seriously, gird your loins.

4. The indy stores your daughter craves are in Nolita (one neighborhood east of Soho) and in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

Try typing "Nolita shopping" or "indy boutiques" or Williamsburg shopping" in the forum's search box to find lots of previous recos. You can sort by date. Click around a bit.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k767233-… Shopping_in_Nolita-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4926048… Shopping_Little_Italy-

http://nymag.com/travel/visitorsguide/40580/

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Starting Point in SoHo, etc. for Indie Shopping

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I really appreciate it. This is our first trip to NY and we want to make the most out of it! I am worried that without a plan, we'll be aimlessly wandering the streets! :)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starting Point in SoHo, etc. for Indie Shopping

you can also check out orchard st and surrounding area in the LES (lower east side).

…timeout.com/shopping-style/shopping/69086/b…

http://nymag.com/srch?t=business_shopping&N=266+196&No=0

4. Re: Starting Point in SoHo, etc. for Indie Shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2012, 10:20