We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

unusual sights

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
unusual sights

hi as ya know am coming back

but having dont the norm sights TOTR,ESB etc what would be top 10 unusual sights that most tourists dont see. am doing Roosevelt Island next time and the tram ( god spares ) 79 days and counting

Thanks

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
CityRover Walks NY
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: unusual sights

it depends on your interests really but people to give recommendations.

When are you actually coming?

What have you seen of the other Boroughs?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: unusual sights

2nd Feb 11

Not really fussed on what it is i like old worldy stuff like to look at things from a bygone age

I have done little italy china town chelsea etc but you never see it all just if any think stands out

Cheers

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: unusual sights

tenement apartment?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: unusual sights

i take it that is a sight to see?.

Some of them are on the lower east is that right?.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: unusual sights

well it fits your criteria thats for sure - I would also suggest the panorama in Queens.

I would also spend some time in other Boroughs.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: unusual sights

please any idea is welcome

Thanks LMV its nice to see a real side

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: unusual sights

LMV is talking about the Tenement Museum. They offer different tours of both apartments and the area

http://www.tenement.org/

You might like a walking tour.

foodsofny.com

is popular as a way to see an area and taste some different food. If you like pizza, there's a good tour of different parts of Brooklyn from

asliceofbrooklyn.com

That same co. also does just a Brooklyn tour without the pizza.

walkingoffthebigapple.com

is a website I like that offers different self guided walks of different areas.

There's also info in the FAQ. Here's a link to a bunch of posts on "off the beaten track" ideas.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k976302-…

There's also a section on what to see in Queens and Brooklyn.

If you're into graffiti, there's some good info in this thread from posters Crans

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3822762…

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: unusual sights

Most folks vision of NYC is based on Manhattan. It is not uncommon for the guidebooks to give more ink to Rockefeller Center than the entire boro of Brooklyn.

But, there are great sites in the outer boros that are so worth visiting. Here are some ideas:

Brooklyn: The Brooklyn Museum is usually not crowded and has some amazing exhibits. The Brooklyn Botanic Gardens is great in all seasons. Brighton Beach for it's Russian culture. Neighborhood walks in Park Slope. A visit to the Brooklyn Brewery. The Brooklyn Flea. Prospect Park. Catching a show at BAM or at the St. Ann's Warehouse or at Bargemusic. The vibe of Williamsburg after dark.

Bronx: Wave Hill is a mansion on the Hudson with beautifully landscaped grounds. The Botanical Gardens are truly world class. Eating Italian food on Arthur Ave.

Queens: Jackson Heights dining. Visiting the Panorama in the Queens Museum. Count Basie's house. The Museum of the Moving Image, the Naguchi Museum, Bohemia Hall biergarten, Greek pastries from Artopolis in Astoria. The Socrates Sculpture Park.

Staten Island: The Conference House in Tottenville, Fort Wadsworth. The Tibettan Museum [yeah, I know it's weird that the Tibettan Museum is in S.I.], Sailors Snug Harbor.

Even in Manhattan, there are lots of places that fly under the radar. The Cloisters in Upper Manhattan has the Mets Midieval Collection, having drinks at the Ear Inn, Biking up the Hudson Bike Trail to the Little Red Light House. Catching a show at LaMama.

Another great option is to see a nabe with a NYer. Put in an application with Big Apple Greeters.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: unusual sights

thats what am after thanks all some nice ideas.

Cheers

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: unusual sights

+1 on the Bronx--id add Bronx zoo and city island too Ft Schuyler is an intersting spot as well.Really very good Italian restaurant nearby called Rinos