We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway Safety

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Subway Safety

I just read in yesterday's New Work Post that crime is up on the subway. Is there a real concern or is it more or less a statistic formula? I am heading there the middle week in Dec and everyone is saying to use the subway to get anywhere. However, I don't want to feel like I am back in Baghdad on a live mission each time my wife and I enter the subways. I just want to enjoy NYC to the fullest. I don't plan on sleeping on the subways so that is in my favor since sleepers are a main target. I don't drink so being the drunk target is eliminated too. I know crime happens everywhere. Even here in Montgomery, Alabama. But I was just curious since they mentioned it in your paper. So I guess the question shold be, is there a dark cloud starting to linger over the subway system in recent times or face it like, "hey, its a big city, press on and fugetaboutit" Thanks

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,836 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway Safety

The New York Post is a fear-mongering rag. An uptick from nearly zero is still nearly zero. Don't fall asleep drunk on the train and you shouldn't have a problem. Obviously no one can promise you anything, but seriously, the chances of anything happening to you are slim to none, and the worst that's likely to happen is being pickpocketed. (Don't carry your wallet in your back pocket, and keep your bag in front of you and in sight - same as anywhere else.)

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway Safety

"Even here in Montgomery, Alabama"

Probably more so in Montgomery, Alabama. The subway is probably safer than Montgomery

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,836 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway Safety

And yes, the subway - even with the "increase in crime" - is still a LOT safer than Montgomery, Alabama.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway Safety

I think this must be the article for anyone who is interested

nypost.com/p/news/local/trained_thieves_send…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway Safety

Its worth it to read the article. First of all, the stats are not clear, and this is hardly a major crime wave. Second, it reports that most of the "crime" is snatching "devices." So there's some good info: Keep you devices in your pocket when on the train (good idea anyway). Third, they prey on drunks who have fallen asleep (so, don't get drunk and fall asleep).

More info: in general, go to car on train that already has passengers, not an empty car. Stay near train conductor if possible. Second, if anything happens (extremely rare) scream out, don't be quiet. Stay alert and don't display valuables (wallet, jewelry, "devices"), that's everyday common sense.

Yes, there is no major problem here, just fear-mongering.

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway Safety

Just clarifying. Thanks for the input. One less thing to worry about. And yes, Montgomery is more dangerous, I agree. I was actually shot here in Montgomery in 2001 in broadaylight during a "retaliation event". Jsut getting car fixed and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I am a little leary of stuff but I figured I would just check on this issue since it was reported. ut seing the NYP is mainly god for the bottom of a birdcage I feel much better. Thanks everyone that responded. Now I ust have to learn the subway system and procedures.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Subway Safety

"ut seing the NYP is mainly god for the bottom of a birdcage I feel much better"

What does that mean?

Stamford...
Level Contributor
832 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Subway Safety

I think it means that the New York Post isn't quite fit for reading. I remember when I was a kid how spun up my parents would get about articles in the Post. I go home for a visit and it's the same thing all over again. It makes me feel all warm inside that the Post, like very few of the things from my childhood, hasn't changed a bit.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Subway Safety

Oh, NYP is New York Post and god is good

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,836 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Subway Safety

And ut is But. And Murdoch is... well, you know. :)