We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LGA to JFK and time to kill

NE Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
LGA to JFK and time to kill

We are flying to LGA and get in at 7:40 AM on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. We then fly out of JFK at 3:40 PM on an international flight. We already planned on taking a taxi between airports. However, that's a lot of time to kill at the aiport. We will each have a backpack as a carry on and a larger bag to check for luggage. Any ideas of what we can do with that time?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
140 Reviews
from US$175.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,013 Reviews
from US$83.99*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,127 Reviews
from US$57.00*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,395 Reviews
from US$37.00*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LGA to JFK and time to kill

arrive and get your bags and ready to leave, at 8:30 am give or take,

have to get to jfk 3 hours before for international flight, or 12:40am

travel to get to jfk from lga about 30 minutes with no traffic

leaves u with about 3 to 3.5 hours

so u can have some brunch on the way in flushing, ny

lots of cultural asian food- kum kang sang on northen blvd between main street and bowne street have good korean food.

unless u mean u want to do some activity.

there is queens botanical garden on the way. or walk around main street in flushing, ny try a bubble tea and some of the bakery goods

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LGA to JFK and time to kill

What seems like a lot of time won't be when you figure in that your arrival day is probably THE busiest travel day of the year. Just to be safe, I'd probably head right to JFK and check my baggage if the airline allows you to so early. You could then conceivably have time to take the Airtrain/Subway into Queens/Brooklyn/maybe even Manhattan for lunch and a bit of walking around. If you're going to be stuck with luggage, i.e. can't check it in that early, it's going to make getting around more of a hassle, depends how much you can stand.

Just an example though, I flew in to JFK on November 4 arriving at 1030. C train was down and A train was taking all its traffic, took me almost two hours just to get to my hotel in Brooklyn. Heading back on November 7, I picked up my luggage from Schwartz Travel in midtown at 600, and made it back to my JFK terminal by 710 for a domestic flight at 830.

3. Re: LGA to JFK and time to kill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2012, 10:18