We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Air a Rip Off!

Portage, Indiana
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Spirit Air a Rip Off!

Beware of Spirit Air. They generally have the cheapest domestic flights, but what they don't tell you is that you have to pay $49 for each carry on bag! The only thing you don't pay for is a purse or briefcase, etc. I saved $7.00 on the flight, but would have paid an additional $100 for my two bags, one of which being a carry on, I made a huge fuss about it so they reduced it to an additional $30, that I was not informed of before I paid for my ticket. It's very much like the old bait and switch! Then on board they charged me for the chips and water I ordered. They charge for everything! Beware of Spirit Air! You will pay much more than you think!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spirit Air a Rip Off!

Spirit Airlines sells tickets between New York and Chicago for $29.00. What exactly do you expect?

Yes, they charge you for everything and yes it can end up costing more than American or United.

They are not a rip-off or a scam - you obviously thought you were getting some super bargain and you failed to figure out what you were really getting.

If I wanted to go to Chicago for a day trip to have lunch at my favorite restaurant, I could do so for under $100. on Spirit.

On the other hand, if I were going to Chicago for ten days and I needed to take a big carry-on and check a bag, I'd be better off flying jetBlue or Southwest where I can check a bag for free, carry-on something larger than Spirit allows, and I can enjoy free snacks and beverages.

They are different business models - that does *not* make Spirit a rip-off, this just tells us you aren't a very well-informed consumer.

2. Re: Spirit Air a Rip Off!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 November 2011, 14:35
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
705 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spirit Air a Rip Off!

At least when I tried to book spirit, the rules were pretty clear.... but I had to get a long way in the reservation process before all of these extra fees started to appear. So I was iritated that I spent so long getting through so many selections before all of these fees started:

fees for booking on-line

fees for credit cards

fees for seat assignments

fees for checked bags (I expect)

fees for carry on bags (was a new one to me).

The fees for a trip to Florida were over 2x the original ticket price. I decided to go with a JetBlue instead with much less hassle.

If they would have been more up front I wouldn't have been so iritated. And then the next few weeks .. and really iritating were then spam emails from Spirit implying they had lower fees than other airlines.

I flew Ryan Air in Europe a lot, also very fee based, but I thought they were more up front about them rather than waiting to late in the process. They may charge for a cup of water- but not a small backpack.

I think the day trip scenario is the only one where it would work out.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,138 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spirit Air a Rip Off!

I'm not familiar w/ Spirit, but I fear that soon they'll make you stand on a scale and "pay what you weigh". :eek:

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spirit Air a Rip Off!

Diet and exercise are your friend.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,783 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spirit Air a Rip Off!

Viiolina--you said it all. Nothing like not looking past the ticket price, ignoring the rest and then complaining. How about some personal responsibility for what one does here?

Portage, Indiana
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spirit Air a Rip Off!

Listen. I'm not trying to be a complainer. I'm just trying to make people aware of what they're getting when they book with Spirit Air. I was so disappointed, not only with the cloaked extra fees and prices, but also with the condition of the plane and the staff. When I walked on and saw very visible stains and rips in the very old seats, I couldn't believe it. And some of the personnel had not even ironed their shirts. When I realized that they charged for everything, including a small bag of chips or pop, I was surprised. Most other American airlines give those amenities complimentary. People seated near me on the flight were also really disappointed with the service, the condition of the airplane and the lack of amenities that most other airlines provide. Oh, and I forgot about the constant selling of the Spirit Air credit card! I thought I was at an auction. From the time I sat in the waiting area, till the time that we landed, I was bombarded with credit card sales pitches. I would never get a Spirit Air Credit Card for fear that there would be a lot of added fees and conditions, cleverly cloaked in the fine print, just like their other services. If I had known that the price I was actually paying after adding all the extra fees that Spirit Air charges, were higher than a better class airline, I would have booked on a more customer friendly, clean, well kept airline; one that doesn't charge for seat assignments and one that would have at least put slip covers over seats that have very visible stains and rips. I mean really. Perhaps a day trip would work with Spirit Air, but if you have to take any type of luggage, it's not worth it. And please, read everything very carefully, so you know exactly what you'll end up paying. I wasn't the only one that stood in the long line to pay extra money. I've been traveling extensively for years and I've never had that type of experience.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spirit Air a Rip Off!

Making people aware, and calling a company a rip off are two totally separate things. I always think to myself when I see a title with the words "scam" or "rip off" in them, "oh dear here we go again", and more often than not it is because someone has not read the rules, the terms and conditions, or just assumed.

Also, even though said people pay rock bottom prices, they have to complain about things. Yes, everything will be charged for, you can get a flight for $9!

This is a pointless post, the company is NOT a rip off, it's just that YOU don't read. (cloaked in fine print you say? but you tick a box to say you've fupping well read them, and you don't therefore it is YOUR FAULT!)

Zero sympathy from me. Next time read what you're agreeing to, read what fees you may have to pay, and if you don't research, don't complain!

M

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spirit Air a Rip Off!

this is hilarious - non ironed shirts! Really?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,390 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Spirit Air a Rip Off!

Spirit was all over the news a few years ago when they started charging for carry-on bags. I guess you missed the weeks of news coverage? And Congress getting involved, by threatening to require that airlines allow free carry-on baggage?

Yes, cheap airlines charge for the extras. That's why they're cheap - because their base fare is exactly that, a base fare. That's why if you shop based on price, you have to read what's included. If you booked into a hostel, would you be upset that you didn't get your own bathroom?

I can't believe you made a fuss about being charged for bags. I even more can't believe that they reduced the price for you. But I suggest you post this in the AirTravel forum, with a "Be aware" subject line.