We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding an amature photographer

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Finding an amature photographer

I have friends coming up to visit me on my one month trip in July. We have all been best friends since birth so wanted to have some "best friend" photos taken around NYC since all of our pictures always come out blurry and we want just candid having fun in the city shots. Any clue how I can contact some student photographers or freelancers? I tried craigslist but to no avail. How much do you guys think this service will cost? I'm thinking a few shots in TS (this will be their first trip), Central Park, and Financial. So we will probably need them for 4 hours.

BTW, I saw the photographer "tours" where they lead you around and take posed photos for you. Didn't strike our fancy.

Thanks guys!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding an amature photographer

perhaps somebody that knows a student in need of cash could give u a name and number directly.

i would try contacting the schools in the city, new york university, parsons university, student union president, or photography club president, and see if they can post your request in their internal website,

and ask them for cost, i would say i will pay "x" dollar and negotiable.

but say if u want a copy of the photos in paper print or if u want digital copy in a disk or via a website.

i have contacted school student president in the past for something i needed, i actually called the school, took many calls and got to the right person then via email and got what i wanted,

that is why i am recommending u try it this way.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,250 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding an amature photographer

I'm an amateur photographer who would normally be interested in such a thing, but not if Im expected to dress a certain way! Plus, it would be impossible to commit to July now.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding an amature photographer

Evening, I would only except a cocktail dress from you. Joking of course. Can't we just agree to disagree?

Perhaps, I can message you closer to July to see if you are available. Do you take the photos for suitcaseready?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding an amature photographer

Linatoday- Thank you! That sounds like a great idea. I hadn't thought of photography clubs and such. I know a lot of young students must be looking for a good paying gig. I have no idea what to quote them though. I really appreciate the advice!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finding an amature photographer

i have paid a professional photographer $450 for 4 hours, 9 years ago,

give or take inflation, i would say the cost today would be $900.

i don't know what evening would agree to

but u could start by knowing what he would charge

i would start at $25/hour.

perhaps evening can recommend a price ?

Houston
Level Contributor
318 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finding an amature photographer

I just hired a student photographer from a university here in Texas. I found her though the university yearbook where she is a photographer. She charges $45 an hour plus $10 to put all pics on a cd. Hope that helps!

7. Re: Finding an amature photographer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 November 2011, 22:35
atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finding an amature photographer

new cameras are almost idiot proof--surely you could earn before next July. I do alot of foto stuff and have a number of high dollar Nikons etc--but when i travel i take a Panasonic Lumix ZS7--which also take hd video. Sony has a similar camera--stick it in your pocket and then ask someone to take a pic--the key to focus is to make sure you dont press the shutter all the way till you hear a beep/or see a blink.They run around 250 bucks--get a second battery and a class 10 memory card

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finding an amature photographer

Pay for me to come to NYC and I'd happily do it for you!

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Finding an amature photographer

Here's a link to the book I just created!

blurb.com/bookstore/invited/2089966/239bc195…