We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maybe silly questions about the Empire State Building

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
325 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Maybe silly questions about the Empire State Building

Hi,

I'm planning our first trip to NYC.

I have been looking at the ESB website and they refer to two levels - level 86 and level 102. Apart from being 16 storeys higher, can anyone please tell me what the other differences are?

In the movie "Sleepless in Seattle" for example, which level do they get out at?

Is that $40+ express pass worth it or is the ticket which just skips the ticket queue, a better idea in terms of value of money for what you get?

Thank you so much in advance.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,115 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
999 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,389 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maybe silly questions about the Empire State Building

The main observation deck with the outdoor view is the 86th floor. The 102nd floor is a small room with little windows at the top of the spire of the original building (that is, just below the television tower.)

Once upon a time, there was no extra charge. For free, it was moderately worth the extra effort just to say you had done it. I would not pay one cent more, though, to go up there -- the view is really no better, and the little windows make looking out difficult anyway.

London
Level Contributor
216 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maybe silly questions about the Empire State Building

Not a silly question at all.

I went to the 102nd floor on our first trip, as GWB says, so we could say we've done it and been all the way to the top but we only went to the 86th on our return trip this weekend.

As for the express ticket you won't know until you get there whether it is worth it or not – it depends whether you go at a busy time or not. You get to skip to the front of all the lines (tickets, security, lifts both up and down) if there are any. My back wasn't great this weekend so we decided to pay the extra as, if there had been long queues, I would have struggled. There weren't any long queues whilst we were there although there was a bit of a queue for the elevator back down from the 86th and we got to miss that out. Overall I was pleased that we had got them as it prevented any stress and those queues can get very long - the first time we went they went outside and round the block. We decided it would be sod's law - if we didn't get the express pass the queues would be really long and if we did they would be non-existent!

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maybe silly questions about the Empire State Building

TOTR is also 86th floor,but has great views uptown thru Central Park--and no lines--id consider that instead

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maybe silly questions about the Empire State Building

Good question!

I have thought the same thing. I've been to the 86th floor but was thinking of whether it'd be worth it to go to the 102nd next time. I had no idea it was just a little room with windows, so now I won't bother!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maybe silly questions about the Empire State Building

Some people like the 102nd floor and think it's worth the effort..

twitchhiker.com/2011/…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
325 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maybe silly questions about the Empire State Building

Thank you so much GWM and Smiler11. You've saved me spending extra on the combination ticket to go to both floors.

Edited: 16 November 2011, 21:55
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
325 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maybe silly questions about the Empire State Building

Thank you bigbomoho, melbtraveller and M4RKM.

bigbomoho - Thank you that's a valid point about long queues and no doubt we'll end up doing both but as it's our first trip to NYC and we're travelling with Mum, whose favourite movie is "An Affair to Remember" a visit to NYC wouldn't be complete for us without going to the ESB.

melbtraveller - I'm glad it's answered both our questions

M4RKM - Thank you - That's an interesting article.

Edited: 16 November 2011, 22:04
Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maybe silly questions about the Empire State Building

The only time I recommend the 102 floor is to people considering helicopter rides. The ESB is safer, cheaper, and you can spend a longer time in a high place. Personally, I prefer Top of the Rock for the Central Park view by day and the ESB view any time.

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
325 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maybe silly questions about the Empire State Building

Thank you ztaks, those are very important considerations especially as we are travelling with my young at heart but nevertheless, senior Mum.

Edited: 16 November 2011, 22:38
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maybe silly questions about the Empire State Building

Hi we went end of October at 10.30 pm - virtually no queue about 20 people in front of us! We got the tickets for empire state and top of the rock via Go Select, printed from the Internet and to be used over a 12 month period - so if the weather is bad you have some flexibility. Did top of the rock by day and empire state by night - both BREATHTAKING!