We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need a comfortable QUIET hotel

florida
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
need a comfortable QUIET hotel

Is the quiet part possible in NY? We're bad sleepers, especially when we travel. We've not visited NY in a number of years, in part because we weren't able to sleep the several times we stayed in hotels in the city. We have a chance to go back for a couple of days in April, and since we love a number of things about the city (C Park and the museums mainly), we hope we can do this. But only if there are some good, quiet places to stay. I've read on the hotel section the reviews of the several hotels that were suggested by my husband's business contact, but each one has a large number of poor ratings, including mention of bad noise problems (both from outside and between walls).

I'd be grateful for suggestions. Would like to be easy walking distance to Central Park and some of the museums.

Thank you. (We're late 70's if that matters, though not sure why it would.)

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need a comfortable QUIET hotel

what is your nightly budget ? It will make a large difference in the recommendations

Edited: 16 November 2011, 23:31
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,032 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need a comfortable QUIET hotel

oyster.com/new-york-city/…

If you're avid museum goers, staying on the upper east side near the bulk of the museums would be a good idea and there are some good quiet ones but they're pricey. The Surrey is very nice.

florida
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need a comfortable QUIET hotel

Thanks for replies.

Would like to keep nightly rate as much under $350 as possible. (Or do I need a major course adjustment?)

Btw, are there any good quiet Starwood hotels?

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need a comfortable QUIET hotel

Hola.

We are in the same age group and always tell our friends and relatives (as well as the folks here on the TA NYC forum) that we recommend the Hotel Giraffe at 365 Park Avenue South at 26th Street. It is a boutique-gem and in a great location that is within walking distance to midtown and Times Square (to the north) and Union Square and the “Village” (to the south) and Chelsea (to the west). For more information, see:

http://www.hotelgiraffe.com/

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

texas
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need a comfortable QUIET hotel

We stayed at the Shelburne. It was very quite. We got a box fan brought to us the second night because we always sleep with one at home. But in all honesty we slept great the first night without one. Maybe ask a hotel if they have one you can use, or would that be noise to you?

We were in Murray Hill area.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need a comfortable QUIET hotel

During the day, the Downtown/Wall Street area hums with activity, but at night, the area becomes fairly serene. There are a couple of nice hotels in the area that would fit the bill. Check out the Wall Street Inn and Gild Hall.

In addition to being nice quiet hotels, you will also be near the great Downtown sites such as Battery Park, Bowling Green, the now famous Zuccatti Park, Century 21, South Street Seaport, Brooklyn Bridge and the Trade Center. There are numerous subway lines there, so you will be able to get anywhere. One more thing, even though the area is quiet at night, it is generally safe.

Tampere, Finland
Level Contributor
109 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need a comfortable QUIET hotel

Hi,

We stayed at the Club Quarters WTC on our last trip this summer. As i'm a bad sleeper too i was worried about the worksite next to the hotel. I didn't hear anything during the night and slept like baby. Maybe at 8am i heard the worksite noise but it didnt bother anymore at that time.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,087 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need a comfortable QUIET hotel

Have you ever tried the soft, memory foam earplugs? I discovered them when I had a snoring boyfriend but now I use them for general nighttime noise. You can pick them up at CVS and other drug stores. Pinch them tight, insert in ears and let them expand.

If you're interested in trying earplugs, I recommend getting used to them at home before using them in a strange bed.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: need a comfortable QUIET hotel

I agree with the earplugs suggestion #8! I take them when I go to concerts, but they work sometimes for sleeping too.

The hotels themselves are not what produces the noise. You could be in a quiet area of Manhattan but have neighbors in the room next door to you with the TV up loud or coming and going all night long slamming a door shut. That's not the hotels fault (even though people love to leave hotels negative reviews for that) which is why I always bring ear plugs :-)

florida
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: need a comfortable QUIET hotel

I'm very grateful for all these replies and suggestions. I do always travel with earplugs-- and I've got a whole array of different kinds-- but it doesn't seem to help very much, plus I'm always aware of "something in my ear."

I don't agree that the noise is not the hotel's "fault." (Of course sometimes it isn't.) E.g. some hotels have excellent solid walls between rooms; others have flimsy walls where every sound penetrates. Likewise plumbing and such: Some have good reasonably quiet plumbing; others have the kind of plumbing that would wake the dead. Similarly housekeeping services: Some hotels make serious effort to have their workers respect needs of guest; others couldn't care less.

Alas, the "white noise" thing never works for us-- but I know many people have good success with those machines.

With your indulgence (I really do so very much appreciate the assistance and kindness of people on TA forums), I will list the hotels that my husband's business contact gave him. Comments on any of these greatly appreciated, as my husband would prefer to choose one of these if possible. (If they're not good, we can choose our own hotel.)

Roosevelt hotel; Roger Smith,Hotel Mela, Library hotel, Helmsley Park Lane, Hotel Wales.

Thank you!!