We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC at New Year's eve

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
NYC at New Year's eve

Hi

I'm hoping someone can provide us a little advice...Myself and my partner are heading to NYC on Boxing day and we're looking for somewhere for New Years.

Ideally, we're looking for somewhere that you pay a set amount of money for and then have an open bar and canapes etc, however there seems to be about a million places!

We're staying at West 55th Street in Midtown and ideally could do with going somewhere we can walk back to our hotel after the party, can anyone please recommend or shorten the available list for us?

Thanks in advance for all the tips/advice!

TW

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC at New Year's eve

how much is your budget?

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC at New Year's eve

LMV has it right --- what is your budget... Open bar in NYC means big Buckos--- or in your case I guess big GBPs

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC at New Year's eve

I'm happy to spend up to $150pp, thanks for your advice guys

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC at New Year's eve

FYI, Boxing Day is not celebrated in the USA. Here, it is known as "the day after Christmas, when holiday cards and wrapping paper are at least 50% off."

I only learned what Boxing Day is b/c I had Caribbean friends and co-workers. I remember it had to be explained to us in school when we read any British authors.

This year, it so happens that Christmas Day is on a Sunday, and therefore Dec 26 is a "bank holiday". That's a coincidence of the calendar.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC at New Year's eve

OP, I'm also an out of towner that is going to be spending NYE in NYC. Use this website http://newyearsevecentral.com/newyork to give you a rough idea of what's out there/ what kind of packages places are offering.

If you decide to go the bottle service route like my friend and I are planning on going and you do not see said venue offering any sort of package for 2, just shoot the venue an email inquiring about bottle service for 2 and they can usually accommodate you.

Hope this helps

Edited: 21 November 2011, 17:37
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,770 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC at New Year's eve

$150 will not get you an open bar anywhere in midtown. In fact, I don't think $150 will get you an open bar anywhere on New Year's Eve.

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC at New Year's eve

Hi

Thanks for the input - We've been checking out the parties listed and there are a few places listing general admission (think Aspen Social is one) for around $80 and vip etc at around $125 with prices going up for seated VIP's etc..... we're checking out newyears.com and newyearsevecentral.com...Are these websites lying? The issue is there are too many options and could do with someone local advising on the best places. Aware that service charges will be added but thinking about base prices.

Also, thanks for the Boxing day tip, was aware it wasn't celebrated in the states, doesn't really make much difference either way to be honest as we're trying to sort NYE...

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC at New Year's eve

BrooklynBrdge, that website I posted has tons of clubs and venues that offer general admission tickets for less than $150 that include open bars in the price.

OP...I posted a thread in here as well asking where to go for NYE, it didn't get too far, so with that website I posted and using Yelp, we came to a conclusion as to which club to go to.

Edited: 21 November 2011, 18:04
London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC at New Year's eve

Thanks for the contributions Jarett....I think if you hadn't provided something I really would have lost faith in these forums...Actually, think I already have - Ask about NYE and you get told Boxing Day isn't celebrated...who cares?!

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC at New Year's eve

Ya no worries, I actually did lose faith in these forums, but whatever. When I was first looking at places to go for NYE, I felt soo overwhelmed as it seemed like there were a million different clubs in NYC.

What are you looking for in a NYE party? I can probably help point you in the right direction as to what clubs to look at as I have read reviews on many, many places.