We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what about airbnb for apartment rentals?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
what about airbnb for apartment rentals?

i see the extremely long thread on an apartment rented in nyc and how someone was very unhappy.

i was looking to rent an apartment in brasil for 3 night, via something called airbnb, a friend of mine swears she used it several times with no problems.

i asked one question to the apartment owner and it took him a few days to get back to me.

i ended up reserving a hotel in booking.com for the first time (used priceline, expedia, orbitz in the past), and gave up on the apartment rental, i did not feel safe, and was worried to get there and find no room.

u can't go wrong with a hotel. or a friends house.

1. Re: what about airbnb for apartment rentals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 November 2011, 00:48
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what about airbnb for apartment rentals?

I've used airbnb.

With the illegality of apartment rentals in NYC, it is down to the property owner to ensure they're legal in what they're doing. airbnb will do no checks. This means that the majority of the "full apartment" rentals on there are illegal, and would be very very difficult to find the ones that are legal.

What is legal is the "private room" option, which gives you a bedroom in the apartment or house of someone who lives there. While legal, this could still be against the rules and regulations of the landlord/co-op etc. This is what I used, and found it a great way to stay somewhere in NYC at a lower cost than a hotel.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,976 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what about airbnb for apartment rentals?

Unless I am reading incorrect the OP wants to rent an apartment in BRAZIL!! If that is the case we in NYC have no idea about the legality and availability of apartments there, What happens in NYC has no bearing on what happens elsewhere.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what about airbnb for apartment rentals?

i did want to rent in brazil, but was wondering about the website itself. since i see apartments for rental in nyc.

i think it is a nice way for people to make some money with extra property. i was not aware it was illegal, until i read it in TA. well it is nice to know that forums like this exists and people who want to ask question can.

Edited: 27 November 2011, 14:20
S��o Paulo
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what about airbnb for apartment rentals?

I am Brazilian and I live in joinville/SC next to curiiba and Florianopolis . If you need help , let me know because will be a pleasure help you.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what about airbnb for apartment rentals?

Don't trust some random poster on this forum--- go to an established place like airbnb and be concerned about the local laws regarding renting. Thousands of people use sites like that to rent places but you have to be familiar with the local ordinances like those in NYC

7. Re: what about airbnb for apartment rentals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 07:41