We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How spending money for 6 days in NY?

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How spending money for 6 days in NY?

Hi all!

Me and my girlfriend are going to NY on NYE for 6 days, but were a bit tight on cash right now so were wondering how much would be enough to be able to enjoy NY? We would be eating out a lot as food isnt included in the hotel price.

Would £800 be enough?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
141 Reviews
from US$175.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,015 Reviews
from US$83.99*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,127 Reviews
from US$57.00*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,395 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,328 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How spending money for 6 days in NY?

Who can answer this question without knowing what you plan to do and where you plan to eat? You need to start searching for the admission prices for the attractions you plan to visit (google is your friend). If you search this forum using the search box above your post, you can also find suggestions on where to eat on a budget. Many restaurants also post their menu on the internet. Are you going to do any shopping? Then you need to add things together and see if your budget is enough.

800 £ for two people would not be enough for my travel style for 6 days. On average I would at least use 100 -150 £ per day per person, but then again I also like to do some shopping and eat well.

Get a 7-days unlimited MetroCard each. It will be the best investment you do.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,976 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How spending money for 6 days in NY?

Only you know how much you need to spend to "enjoy" yourselves. There is plenty of cheap food ($5 breakfasts, $10 lunches, $20 dinners, or less if you're willing to eat pizza and other really cheap food a lot) and there are plenty of attractions that are free (the Brookyn Bridge, Central Park, the Staten Island Ferry, walking around neighborhoods, etc.) Many museums are "pay what you wish." You can get a 7-day unlimited subway and city bus pass for $29 per person. There are discounts on Broadway shows. Alcohol is expensive. Sold out Broadway shows are expensive. Shopping can be expensive, depending on what you're buying. You can certainly manage without starving on $1200, but only you know if you'll "enjoy" that which you can afford.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How spending money for 6 days in NY?

hmm... I normally take about $1250 for 1 person for 7 nights, but I don't eat in posh restaurants, I eat in bars and I drink in bars. I don't really spend money on shopping etc. Now, I do drink a fair bit, as it is a drinking holiday I go on, so if this is your overall budget for 2, then it's a bit tight, but doable.

I always like to work in dollars, as that's what you'll be spending in the US, rather than £. I work out a daily budget, which then I stick to each day, and if I underspend, I'm then able to splurge (which I did last time!).

I also think that you're used to package holidays, as I've never had any food included in an NYC hotel, they're always room only!

Level Contributor
221 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How spending money for 6 days in NY?

Hope this gives you a rough idea

Cheap Lunch: $12 (deli, grocery, cart, carryout)

Cheap Dinner: $20 (carryout place, hole in the wall place)

Upscale Lunch: $50

Upscale Dinner: $100

Cheap Drink: $8

Upscale Drink: $15

So assuming your total budget of 800 GBP is about $1250 USD, for 6 days and 2 people that's about $104 budget per person per day.

I think that's a really doable budget as far as food goes. If you need to eat cheaply, I recommend the food carts. For entertainment, you can do more free things like going to beautiful Central Park or Washington Square Park or walking the Brooklyn Bridge. Also, you can go to a museum/attraction directly instead of doing some tour which should cut down costs. MOMA has free Fridays but you have to stand in line and it WILL be crowded.

Level Contributor
1,161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How spending money for 6 days in NY?

It is very doable, there are plenty of reasonable inexpensive places to eat, day & night.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
355 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How spending money for 6 days in NY?

Personally I think you will a little short on £800, once your arrived, there could be stuff you want to see and do and you might not have the funds to do it which would be a shame.

Me and my girlfriend leave on the 19th December for 5 nights and we can converted our pound into dollars already. We have $4800 between us.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,595 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How spending money for 6 days in NY?

I wasn't on a tight budget, but spent £450 during my 11 day stay & thoroughly enjoyed myself.

8. Re: How spending money for 6 days in NY?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 20:15
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor