We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family of 5 needing accomodation in NY close to times square

England
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
family of 5 needing accomodation in NY close to times square

Hi we ar a family of 5, 1 adults 3 children, 16, 12 and 6, travelling to new york for 3 nights we are wanting to be close to times square as we would like to see empire state, central park, a show, statue of liberty and maybe a few more depending on time however most places are rooms for 4, we are looking at 3* and have only found radio city apartments and have read bad reviews on this, we would like to spend 650 dollars but can increase if need be, thanks for any replies and advcie

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family of 5 needing accomodation in NY close to times square

Hey jacnEngland:-) I read 1 adult and 3 children as totalling 4;-) Nonetheless, is that $650 for all 3 nights?! FWIW, you may want to check your dates with the Hotel Beacon on 74th and Broadway..only 1 express subway stop to Times Square..and again, regardless, places of interest are sprawled all over the City but the Beacon is a couple of Avenue blocks from Central Park..and Riverside as well;-) Happy planning..and EnjoY!

England
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: family of 5 needing accomodation in NY close to times square

sorry forgot to put we will not be visiting untill nov 12, so appreciate i am a little bit early for booking but hoping to get an insight into costs and do an itinary.

No its 2 adults 3 chidlrne sorry you can tell im not computer literate

Edited: 03 December 2011, 22:16
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,499 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family of 5 needing accomodation in NY close to times square

The best advice I ever recieved on this forum was not to stay in Times Square. It can be overwhelming, especially for younger ones. On our first trip, my then 10yo panicked as we encountered a major crowd in Times Square upon exiting a theatre. That was an extreme case, but I honestly think she would have been uncomfortable if that was the first thing she saw every morning and the last thing she saw each night.

We were directed that time to the Affinia Shelburne. It's within walking distance of the Empire State building and if you can stand a 15-20 minute walk ... Times Square. It's about 7-8 minute walk to the very pretty Grand Central Terminal where you also have access to several subway lines.

I also happily stayed twice at the Affinia affiliated Eastgate Towers, just a few blocks from the Shelburne. It's less "luxurious" than the shelburne, but gives you more space and a kitchen.

http://www.affinia.com

Contrary to popular belief, times square is not "central" because all the attractions are spread out. You cannot easily walk from Empire State Building to Battery Park (Statue of Liberty boats depart from Battery Park) unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

According to google maps

The walk from Times Square to ....

... the Central Park Zoo is 1.2 miles

... The Museum of Natural History 1.6 miles

... Intrepid Sea, Air and Space museum is 1.2 miles

... Battery Park (statue of liberty) 4.1 miles

You get the idea ... there's not way to avoid using some sort of transportation within the city and still seeing a lot ... so like my advice would be fnd an apartments style hotel outside of times square.

If you post the number of beds you need for your family of 5 and your dates, you'll get lots of help.

Edited: 03 December 2011, 22:36
England
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: family of 5 needing accomodation in NY close to times square

thank you i see what you mean i thought by being at times square we coul walk most places, i will have a look at the hotels you have mentioned, we wil need 2 double beds and a roll out for my 12yr out and are going 1-4 nov 2012, thank again realy appreciated

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,063 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: family of 5 needing accomodation in NY close to times square

Oh gosh, those dates will be very expensive. The first Sunday in Nov. is the NYC Marathon which brings thousands of people to NYC. That falls on Nov. 4. next year. If you can change the dates, I would.

I agree that no one location will make the things you want to see walkable since those things are all over. I'd suggest you map them on

maps.google.com

I don't think you ever answered whether the $650 for meant to be for all 3 nights or per night. I can tell you it won't likely work for 3 nights at that time of year.

In addition to the suite hotels (Radio City, Affinia, Beacon, Salisbury, Kimberly, San Carlos, Bedford...) the Courtyard Midtown East has some rooms with 2 queen beds and a sofabed.

England
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: family of 5 needing accomodation in NY close to times square

sorry 65o for all five of us per night, would have liked breakfast with that but its not a problem if not, no we cant really change dates as are flying to orlando on the 4th and its already booked so was hoping to stay in NY first , tahnks for all your advice anyway its really appreciated

sydney
Level Contributor
309 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: family of 5 needing accomodation in NY close to times square

I dont know why no-one has mentioned Doubletree Guest suites - right in Times Square - 2 double beds in one room, and a seperate living area with a sofa bed - It worked great for our family of five.

We got a package through expedia that included breakfast for 2 adults, 2 children. (and flights from Orlando) but be careful if you take this package, although they confirmed on check in that it was breakfast for 2A and 2 C (up to 17) I had a big fight with the restaurant as they claimed it was only 2A.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,063 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: family of 5 needing accomodation in NY close to times square

The Best Western Hospitality is the one suite hotel that includes breakfast. You can book there just under your budget with no prepayment required and you could cancel up to the day before. I'd urge you to book it now.

…bestwestern.com/bestwestern/…

England
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: family of 5 needing accomodation in NY close to times square

Thank you so much i will map all the hotels mentioned and see if i can decide so can book asap, i realise we will have to use the tube/taxis etc but would like to keep to a minimal as there are are 5 of us and usually have difficult with taxis

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,063 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: family of 5 needing accomodation in NY close to times square

The Doubletree Guest Suites in Times Square was actually way above your budget, mostly b/c of the marathon I'm sure. The Best Western is a terrific hotel and the price they're quoting is good value at that time of year.