We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Itinerary

Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
New York Itinerary

Hi I am a first timer to New York and will be travelling with my 9 year old son in April 2012. We have 7 nights at the Novotel Times Square. I am after some help with my itinerary to ensure we make the most of our time. Can anyone help? Here is a list of what we would like to see but are open to any other suggestions.

Empire State Building cruise, 9/11 Memorial, FAO Schwartz Toy Store. Serendipity, Museum of Natural History, Rockerfeller Centre. We would also love to see some sport - whether that is baseball, basketball or football (or all 3!) as well as some theatre (most likely at night).

What have I missed???

Thank you all in anticipation of your help!!!

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,172 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New York Itinerary

You've missed most of what's available. What's an Empire State Building cruise? The ESB isn't near the water. What about the Statue of Liberty? Central Park? Wall Street? The Brooklyn Bridge? The Metropolitan Museum of Art? With seven days you have time to do lots more.

Of the sports you list, Football isn't played in April. Baseball will just be starting.

Edited: 05 December 2011, 09:21
Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,602 Reviews
New York City, NY
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,337 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York Itinerary

I highly recommend the Top of the Rock. Many prefer TOTR instead of ESB. Unobstructed views and you can see both ESB and Central Park from TOTR. The lines and waiting times are normally much shorter at TOTR. Go before it gets dark.

What about Grand Central Terminal? Broadway show?

On the right hand side of this web page you find the FAQ - Top questions about NEW YORK CITY. Reading through the FAQ will give you valuable information and recommendations.

Lurking around the forum, look through a couple of pages and using the search box are also useful for your planning.

Have you got a good guidebook yet with maps?

Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New York Itinerary

Now that's embarrassing! I meant a cruise to statue of liberty. Thanks for the feedback

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,099 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York Itinerary

OK ... for the Statue of Liberty ... you can take a site-seeing cruise which brings you near the statue. Or you can book on "StatueCruises" which is a ferry ... and the ONLY way to get to Liberty Island (where the statue is). This same ferry also goes to Ellis Island. Ellis Island was the first point of entry for the hoards of immigrants that travelled to New York in steerage. It is a very interesting place that gives you an idea of how the USA was built.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
277 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York Itinerary

Hi Kylie,

We to are travelling to New York in the first week of April next year with our 8yr old son. In regards to the sport available Ice Hockey regular season finishes that first week and baseball starts at that time but I think the Yankees are out of town but the Mets are home not sure if tickets are available yet though.

With a 9yr old boy you should look at the Intrepid museum/aircraft carrier and also the American Museum of Natural History, they are definetly on our itenary.

Cheers

Matty

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Williamston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York Itinerary

Kylie, you didn't give the exact dates of your trip, but if you wanted to see the famous NY Yankees in action, they have home games April 13-19 and April 27-30. On April 3-4, they'll be technically on the road, but it's just across town as they visit the NY Mets.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
682 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York Itinerary

Hi Kylie,,

Doing our research for March - I understand that the Statue of Liberty is a tour which involves (I believe) long queues.

I also understand that if you catch the Staten Island ferry, which is free, you get a great view of the SOL - without the queues.

Also a good trip at night time to check out the lights of NYC ?

Safe travels!

Mentioned in this post
Williamston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York Itinerary

Kylie, here's a couple of other things you and your son might enjoy: The Lion King on Broadway, a United Nations building tour, the NBC studio tour at Rockefeller Center.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York Itinerary

The Intrepid Sea Air and Space Museum would be great for kids of any age. It is located on a huge WWII aircraft carrier. The museum is loaded with fighter planes and has a submarine you can enter as well.

Kids always love the subway. The Transit Museum in Brooklyn Heights is another great place to visit. It is located in Brooklyn Heights and has all sorts of vintage cars and subway paraphernalia. They also have a great gift shop for souvenirs.

Finally, there is a Bike and Roll at Battery Park City in Lower Manhattan. You can rent bikes there and ride all the way up to the GW Bridge along the Hudson River. This is an exclusive bike path and is very safe.

Have a great trip

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,172 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New York Itinerary

You get a view of the statue from the Staten Island Ferry, Vada, but I wouldn't call it a great view.