We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Burger Diner with Milkshakes etc!!

ipswich
Level Contributor
366 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
American Burger Diner with Milkshakes etc!!

Is there a place we can take our kids to eat that serve typical american food in a diner environment - its their first time in America, and I think they imagine thats what you should eat - Burgers, Fries and Milkshakes!! (Not MacDonalds - more like Happy Days!! A 50's style)

Thank you!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,956 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Burger Diner with Milkshakes etc!!

Johnny Rockets is the sort of place you describe as is Big Daddy's. The shakes at Shake Shack are legendary. BLT Burger has great shakes. Schnipper's is another idea. All are on

menupages.com

Some more ideas

…cbslocal.com/top-lists/top-milkshakes/

ipswich
Level Contributor
366 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Burger Diner with Milkshakes etc!!

Thank you NYWhizz!

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Burger Diner with Milkshakes etc!!

I second Shake Shack - one of the best burgers in the city as well.

Ireland
Level Contributor
453 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Burger Diner with Milkshakes etc!!

Yep deffo recommend shake shack. Burgers are yum as are the cheesy fries and milkshakes. Roll on february when I can get my shake shack fix:)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Burger Diner with Milkshakes etc!!

The Shake Shack is indeed great. But for me, I love to head to Williamsburg and visit Dumont Burger for a small burger [the large is too much for me] and a vanilla shake. Great fries are also essential for the mix.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,069 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: American Burger Diner with Milkshakes etc!!

Is the important part specifically the 50's style diner? Or is it the food? Any diner will have burgers and milkshakes, mostly much better than a chain like Johnny Rockets. Johnny Tockets will give you the 50's experience, because that's the point of the chain.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
326 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American Burger Diner with Milkshakes etc!!

Shake Shack

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American Burger Diner with Milkshakes etc!!

Shake Shack

but if you dont want to deal with lines - Goodburger is really good. The meat is so excellent - it tastes like steak. They have great shakes too. Doesnt resemble a 50s diner however.

suitcaseready.com

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,081 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American Burger Diner with Milkshakes etc!!

I agree with Brooklyn Bridge "Johnny Rockets" has the most 50's feeling (happy days) theme, they even have the juke box -

www.johnnyrockets.com

They have a location at 930 3rd Ave. (by 56th St.)

On the other hand, Shack Shack incoorparates a little of the 50's vibe (mixed with a contemporary feel) into their marketing strategy, and does have good burgers- shakes -and fries but is not by a long strech a "50's style dinner" (in my professional opinion- you should really try both though).

Enjoy!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American Burger Diner with Milkshakes etc!!

I notice that you have booked the Intercontinental at a rate that includes breakfast. I would cancel the breakfast-included rate, and would instead eat breakfast elsewhere. There are lots of diners/coffee shops all over town that are not tourist-focused, but are instead popular with locals, and I think your kids would be much more entertained (both by food choice and by atmosphere) by having breakfast there. Near the hotel are the Westway Diner on Ninth Avenue, and the Cafe Edison in the Edison Hotel on 47th Street between Seventh and Eighth. A little further away, but my favorite, is the Skylight Diner on 34th Street at Ninth Avenue, which is right across the AVenue from B & H Photo, a great store to browse in for cameras and electronics.