We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help w/ 4 day itenerary.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Please help w/ 4 day itenerary.

My husband, son and myself(11) will be traveling for 3 days next weeknd. We will be arriving in Newark @ 10:30p.m. then plan on being shuttled to our hotel, downtown sheraton. I figured we can still take in Times square and maybe a few holiday windows, since our bodies will be on west coast time.

I want each day full to the brim with sight seeing as we dont travel(as much as I'd like).

day 1

mass @ St.Patricks Cathedral

central park, rent bikes, museum of natural history

ice skating

rockefeller center

day 2

china town

little italy

greenwich village

see "the lady"

brooklyn bridge

end evening @top of the rock observatory

day 3-????

grand central terminal for holiday light show

self guided holiday light tour in dyker heights in the evening

not sure what I should pack in here, but we have 7:00p.m. lion king tickets.

as far as food is concerned my husband and son will be eating from the street vendors.

I will be reseaching juice bars and vegan cafes. can someone also recommend any healthy markets. we have co-ops on the west coast and whole foods market, is there anything comparible?any input would be greatly appreciated,.

my son really wants to go Lombardis...is there better out there?

oh yeah we will also buy a metro card.

thank you!!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,835 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help w/ 4 day itenerary.

Street vendors can be fun, but it would be a shame to limit your dining to just that, with you eating separately. You won't always have great street vendor options in the neighborhood's you're visiting.

Definitely eat in Chinatown! Many restaurants will have some amazingly good stir fried vegetable dishes. I'm not talking about greasy "Buddha's delight" Chinese-american dishes. Sauteed pea shoots are to die for!

There are Whole Foods markets in NYC, but you will be in a major restaurant capital with some really great food. Many restaurants will have vegan options, or will be happy to alter a dish. NYC has many happy vegans. so it's not an unusual request. Why eat the same prepared food you eat at home?

Not meaning this to sound critical ... just encouraging you to make the most of being in a great food city! :)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,129 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help w/ 4 day itenerary.

What do you mean "shuttle to hotel". Please do not take a shared shuttle. That style of travel just doesn't work in Manhattan. If you are lucky you'll be the first stop on the shuttle, if not, you could be on there for 2+ hours. Please read the first FAQ on the upper right: "How do I get from the airport to Manhattan?"

I'd be concerned about a light tour of dyker heights, dinner and getting to the theatre for Lion King all between sunset and 6:45.

I ate pizza at Lombardi's. It was excellent. And it was fun to be in an old restaurant and the staff was very accomodating and so on ... BUT ... to be honest, where I live we have a vibrant "Little Italy" (although it's not called that ) and we have our own version of Lombardi's there and in other areas. So ... while I'm glad we did it, I won't be rushing back to get what I can get at home. ;)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,389 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help w/ 4 day itenerary.

Don't take a shuttle.

I would not rent bikes in Central Park. You won't see much. Pick an area and walk.

You do not have time to get to Dyker Heights to see the lights and be back in time for a 7 pm curtain.

Skip Little Italy - it doesn't exist anymore.

I would ice skate in Central Park instead of Rock Center. More space, shorter lines, better experience for your son.

Edited: 07 December 2011, 12:02
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
477 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help w/ 4 day itenerary.

As a suggestion, I think Top of the Rock is much better by day as it has great views of Central Park, which by night will not be at all appreciated. Why don`t you consider going up when you are visiting the Rockefeller Centre on your first day. If you only have time to go up at night, then maybe the Empire State building is a better choice.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,129 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help w/ 4 day itenerary.

Also ... you mention Statue of Liberty, but I think Ellis Island is a "must see" especially w/ a child your son's age ... and it sounds like you live in the US which makes it all the more interesting to see how the country was populated. My kids were 10 and 12 when we went and they enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. Both had already touched on it a bit in school, so that helped 'bring it to life' so to speak.

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
880 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help w/ 4 day itenerary.

We just did Rockefeller and Wollman Rink over Thanksgiving and the experience at the Wollman (Central Park) was better and less expensive. I would include one art museum. If you do not want to deal with a place as big as the Met, I would recommend a smaller one such as the Frick Collection or the Morgan Library.

Regarding the shuttle, the posters are correct; just go to Dial7 and book a pick up and retuen. The service was just perfect for us.

I do not know how much you plan to walk versus taking the metro. We were four and walked everywhere and never used the subway. We found cabs to be plentiful and inexpensive for medium lenght distances. For 4 days our total cab bill was $ 110; so we would have spent much more on the metro card

Edited: 07 December 2011, 17:51
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,389 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help w/ 4 day itenerary.

You would not have spent "much more" on the MetroCards - you would have spent $6 more (4 * $29 = $116) and you wouldn't have had to walk so much. So, for you, it was a wash. I presume you didn't leave midtown much? The OP plans to go all over Manhattan and Brooklyn, and there are three of them, so cab fare would be much more expensive than public transit.

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
880 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help w/ 4 day itenerary.

Granted.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help w/ 4 day itenerary.

Re: Vegan cafes

Blossom and Peacefoods Cafe have locations on the Upper West Side. Blossom also has a location around 9th Avenue in the west 20s. Blossom is the more expensive of the two.

The village has a huge selection of vegetarian and vegan places. Dirt Candy has both vegetarian and vegan, but is not cheap and usually requires a reservation. There are also less expensive places throughout the village, including a (mostly?) vegan bar on McDougal whose name I can't remember.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help w/ 4 day itenerary.

Oh, and Chinatown has Buddha Bodai. But I'm not sure if it is genuinely vegan -- some of the fake meats may contain dairy. I'm not sure.