We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which shows?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
139 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Which shows?

Bringing my college age daughter to NY in March, first trip for both of us. We are planning to see 2 shows. Definitely going to Jersey Boys, my pick. She is trying to decide what her pick will be. We both love Wicked, and have seen it twice in Dallas, but would see it again in a heartbeat. Neither of us have seen Mary Poppins. Also considering Phantom, which I have seen here, but she has not. Of course we know that nothing in Dallas is comparable on any level to Broadway. If Legally Blonde was still on, that would definitely have been her pick. Any thoughts on the ones I've mentioned?

Mentioned in this post
Jersey Boys
Jersey Boys
7,022 Reviews
New York City, NY
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which shows?

""Of course we know that nothing in Dallas is comparable on any level to Broadway.""

Better watch out what you say - isn't EVERYTHING Bigger and Better in Texas?

You might be subject to deportation.

How about Memphis, How to Succeed etc., Priscilla, Queen of the Desert - check broadwaybox,com for a listing of ALL shows available on B'way and then be overwhelmed!

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,166 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which shows?

How about "Anything Goes"! What a rollicking good time!

http://www.anythinggoesonbroadway.com/

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which shows?

You might very well be happy with any of the shows you've mentioned, but I'm not sure that I'd go for a show that you've already seen, even if the Broadway production is superior to the road company (assuming that's what you saw).

I'm not a big fan of Phantom, but I recognize that I'm in the minority on that point.

It seems like your favorites are shows with pop-oriented scores -- or maybe I'm imagining a pattern that isn't really there. If that tendency is real, Anything Goes might be a bit too traditional, although I agree that it's a fun show, and I think you'll probably be here in time to see Sutton Foster in the lead role.

One thing to keep in mind is that several new shows will open by the time you get here. Given your daughter's age, she might be a fan of Newsies (the Disney film), and the stage version will be starting previews on Broadway in March. This production will be based on one that was mounted a few months ago at Papermill Playhouse in NJ (you can find videos if you Google it). It was a fun show. They kept the good songs, added some new ones and overhauled the (previously lame) book.

new york
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which shows?

I suggest that you see something that you haven't already seen. There will be some new shows starting in the new year, but of the ones playing now I would suggest How to Succeed or Anything Goes. However, Nick Jonas will be playing the lead role in How to Succeed at that time and who knows how he will be. I would wait to see what the reviews are like before I purchased for that show. Priscilla is also a lot of fun.

When I first saw Phantom, I was in awe. It was the first big production I had seen and thought it was the best thing ever. I saw it again a few years ago, and now I'm not a big fan.

Legally Blonde is no longer in NYC.

Mentioned in this post
White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which shows?

Based on the shows you mentioned, you may want to consider How to Succeed in Business, Priscilla Queen of the Desert or Sister Act. Other musicals with very good buzz opening by March include Evita (starring Ricky Martin) and Jesus Christ Superstar. But if you're traveling all the way to NYC, why not see something that you probably won't see in Dallas, at least for awhile. These include the new Disney musical Newsies and a wonderful new musical Once. Once is a wonderfully entertaining musical that just opened to very favorable reviews off-Broadway and has just posted it's arrival on Broadway in February. It's based on in the 2006 Indie film and one of the best shows I've seen so far this season.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
139 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which shows?

Thanks so much for all of your replies. If you don't think there is any hurry to get our tickets, then maybe we will wait a little closer til our trip. That will give us time when daughter is home for Christmas holidays for us to take a look together and watch/listen to some of the clips, read reviews, etc. I did look at the link to Anything Goes, and it looks really cute. And Nick Jonas in How to Succeed might be intriguing to her, actually. I will ask her about Newsies, as that's not something I'm familiar with, though she probably is.

Has anyone seen Mary Poppins that might give me some feedback? That is one we haven't seen. And even though I have seen Jersey Boys already, it was a number of years ago; I absolutely loved it and want to see it again.

Mentioned in this post
Jersey Boys
Jersey Boys
7,022 Reviews
New York City, NY
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
139 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which shows?

Whirlwind, Just saw your post after I had replied. I have not heard of Once, but will take a look at it as well as the other new ones you mentioned (don't think we would be interested in Priscilla.) The timing would be good for us. Thanks!

8. Re: Which shows?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2012, 10:16