We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow Yet?

Winnipeg, MB Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Snow Yet?

Hi All - do you have any snow there yet, on the ground? Coming Dec 26-Jan 1, and would like to make a snow angel in Central Park.... bucket list thing I am hoping to cross off. Please tell me you have some snow?

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow Yet?

Sorry, it usually snows the most here Jan. to March.

www.wunderground.com

Sometimes we have a random snow in Dec (heck, we had a freak snowstorm the day before Halloween this year!) and there's always a small one in April, but they're rare.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow Yet?

there was a big snowstorm last year at the end of December.

Airports were closed and/or backed up with delays for days. Amtrak was running DC-NYC but after Penn station they stopped service temporarily. Subway was on slow service/certain routes not running for a short while.

I was glad when it got into the 50's a few days later and was sunny. :-)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow Yet?

http://bit.ly/v8WcCG

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,823 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow Yet?

If there were snow on the ground now, it's unlikely it would still be there when you get here. Snow doesn't stick long in this city.

White Christmases are rare here. It's unlikely that we'll get any snow before Christmas, and even less likely that we'd have enough to make a snow angel in. Sorry!

Winnipeg, MB Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow Yet?

Booo. I've been watching the weather (thanks for all the links), but it wouldn't actually show me if there was snow on the ground. I'll check back closer to the date! Happy Holidays!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow Yet?

Even if there were snow on the ground, one look at the current ten-day forecast would pretty much assure you it would melt.

After two consecutive unusually cold and very snowy Decembers (which was extremely and I do mean extremely disruptive), we are having a very very mild and very tranquil December. Flights are coming and going and people are able to get things done - this is how December is supposed to be. It is actually a bit above average (and supposed to stay that way through the 10 day forecast) - love it.

Fingers crossed for a mild and dry winter.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,250 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow Yet?

Wait, you're from Winnipeg? Haven't you seen all the snow you'd ever want to see in your life?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,694 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow Yet?

Weather forecasts seem to indicate this is one bucket list item that you will not cross off. AND, while I hate to sound mean--I am very happy. My bucket list includes getting out of NYC on the 25th without having to make dozens of calls to find a car service driver willing to take me to the airport ( at 4 times the normal price)--and I was lucky to find him! (which is what happened last year)

Edited: 15 December 2011, 02:02
New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snow Yet?

There actually was a snow storm at the end of October -- very unusual for NYC. Been a little warm since then, although this past week temps have been comfortable in the 30s to low 40s F (that would be about 1-8 C for you).

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Snow Yet?

make your snow angel in Manitoba - you are more likely to have snow this time of year than NYC where it doesn't stay on the ground long unless we have blizzard conditions.....and don't wish for snow here - we just went through a prolonged period late Oct/early Nov where snow shut down the NEastern US for a couple of weeks......so keep it in Canada, SVP.