We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wine bar in NYC?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
86 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
wine bar in NYC?

I am looking for a nice wine bar where I can go on my own to have a drink. Like the terroir a lot - looking for something similar more uptown (staying at the Peninsula)

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wine bar in NYC?

Morrell Wine Bar in Rockefeller Plaza is very close by and it is a very nice place - very upmarket. morrellwinebar.com

Terroir in the East Village is a fun place - I really like Terroir but it is so difficult to get a seat in that place. NYC really doesn't have as many wine bars as you would expect - I suspect they operate on a razor thin profit margin considering the high operating costs and the inability to generate income on say lunch and dinner entrees.

8th Street Wine Cellar is also downtown but it is an easy trip down on either the subway or the 5th Avenue bus (or in a taxi if you prefer) - it was started by some very well-trained people from the finest restaurants. It is a fantastic place and if you like the wine bar concept, it is probably as good as it gets.

Xai Xai at 365 or 369 West 51st Street near 9th Avenue specializes in South African wines but it is a very charming space and it is a particular standout in my mind. I love wine bars in the winter and I'd say my three favorites are 8th Street Wine Cellar, Terroir, and Xai Xai. The only reason I can't say Morrell is a favorite is I haven't spent enough time there to really get the feel.

I'm going to check back in to see what other favorites others have added.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wine bar in NYC?

Newly opened near Union Square:

http://ny.eater.com/tags/corkbuzz

Enjoy!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wine bar in NYC?

Excellent. Thanks for sharing. I'm definitely going to check out Corkbuzz.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
86 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wine bar in NYC?

thanks for your help and merry xmas!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wine bar in NYC?

It's not uptown, but I love Grape and Grain on 6th St between Ave B and C (http://www.grapeandgrain.net/)

6. Re: wine bar in NYC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2012, 10:19