We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

most economical to travel from Elizabeth NJ to NYC

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
most economical to travel from Elizabeth NJ to NYC

My family my friends and I will be visiting NYC from Dec. 27 to 30 and will be staying in a hotel in Elizabeth, NJ. What will be the most economical way to got into NYC. if we can park out cars in one of the subway/PATH station. Thank you.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,150 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: most economical to travel from Elizabeth NJ to NYC

Do you have to stay in Elizabeth for any particular reason? I only ask because if you're staying there and planning to spend your days in NYC, it's really impractical to stay there.

Take a look at this NJ Transit link. To take NJ Transit from Elizabeth to NYC involves a 30 minute---or more train ride:

www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv…

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,704 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: most economical to travel from Elizabeth NJ to NYC

I agree with Sue. I'm not sure about parking at the Elizabeth train station and parking is virtually non excitant at PATH station. Plus there is plenty to see in New Jersey as well. Here are a few links

www.visitnj.org

www.goironbound.com

www.njskylands.com

www.capemay.com

www.redbank.com

www.visitsouthjersey.com

www.stayinthemeadowlands.com\

www.funnewjersey.com/

www.wildwoodsnj.com

www.destinationmontclair.com

www.myjerseyshore.Com

www.destinationjerseycity.com

www.destinationtrenton.com

www.exit82.com

www.findsomerville.com

www.discoversalemcounty.com

www.glasstownartsdistrict.com

www.gocentraljersey.com

www.historicsmithvillenj.com

www.morristown-nj.org

www.newbrunswickrocks.com

www.njsouthernshore.com

www.lambertville.org

www.atlanticcitynj.com

www.goelizabethnj.com

www.mullicahill.com

www.asburyboardwalk.com

www.mainstreetmountholly.com

www.newbrunswick.com

www.ocnj.us

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: most economical to travel from Elizabeth NJ to NYC

Elizabeth is not a great place to stay for visiting NYC and determining cheapest transport options depends on how many you are. At a certain number of people, frankly driving into Manhattan and parking the car will be cheaper but not necessarily the fastest or easiest option. Your best bet really depends on which hotel it is. There are some hotels at/near Jersey Gardens with an Elizabeth address and there are buses from there into Port Authority bus terminal in Manhattan. You can try using the trip planner on

njtransit.com

or type the trip using the exact address or name of the hotel on

maps.google.com

You'll first get a driving map. If you then click the train icon at the top, you'll get directions for public transportation.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: most economical to travel from Elizabeth NJ to NYC

PS if you want to try to figure out how much it would cost to park near a PATH station, here's a PATH map.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

Pick a station, click on it and it will give you a list of parking facilities that you can either contact by phone or try to access online for rates. Here's the info for the Journal Square stop.

panynj.gov/path/journal-square-station.html

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,267 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: most economical to travel from Elizabeth NJ to NYC

every day, 10,000+ people who live in or near Elizabeth probably commute into the city. There are trains and buses. Just make sure this hotel is near downtown Elizabeth or on the bus/train route - because Elizabeth is a big place.

if you can get something near the PATH line in Jersey City or Hoboken you will be better off, but if this is your only option due to budget constraints or other personal reasons, it is doable.

suitcaseready.com

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: most economical to travel from Elizabeth NJ to NYC

Thank You very much on all the replies.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: most economical to travel from Elizabeth NJ to NYC

I would think about driving into Manhattan if there are a lot of you. I've done it a few times from close to Elizabeth on a weekend and you might have similar traffic that week (maybe 45 minutes). I'd also go to the UWS by the Natural History Museum and look for street parking but that is just me.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,325 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: most economical to travel from Elizabeth NJ to NYC

Assuming that you stay in Elizabeth and can't get to the PATH station easily, and if the weather cooperates, I too would drive in. Use this web site to find a place to park http://nyc.bestparking.com/index.php. If you leave Elizabeth after 9:00 AM I think you'll be ok. The tolls will be a couple of dollars for the NJ Turnpike + $12 for the tunnel. Don't go out of the way to find street parking, just resign yourself to paying around 25-35 (maybe more) to park for the day.

I haven't taken the Holland Tunnel in years but that would be your choice to reach lower Manhattahn (eg, WTC site). The other option is the Lincoln Tunnle which gets you into mid town (ie, times square and also closer to most museums) -- but you can easily get up town or down town from mid town by taking the subway.

Assuming that you take the Lincoln tunnel, I would park on the West side (eg, 9th or 10th avenue) because (a) the worst traffict is the cross-town traffic going east-west -- trying to get from the Lincoln Tunnel across town can be a miserable experience) and (b) it's cheaper (though on vacation, paying for convenience counts for a lot in my book). The downside to parking on 9th or 10th is that you'll walk a way to get to the subway

Edited: 19 December 2011, 19:43
9. Re: most economical to travel from Elizabeth NJ to NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2012, 10:23