We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers Cheques

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
826 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Travellers Cheques

Hello there, apologies if this question has been posted and answered before, i've tried to find the answer without success, can anyone tell me if you can use Travellers Cheques like cash in NYC, we are used to visiting Orlando where this is the case but not sure if NYC is the same. Any advice much appreciated

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers Cheques

Are we really still in the 1980's? Joking aside, Travellers Cheques are an outdated and expensive way of taking money on vacation.

Research things like prepaid credit cards, which are much more modern and much more userfriendly.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers Cheques

It is likely that there will be places that do not take them, and even at those places where they are taken I am sure they will be looked upon as old-fashioned at best, and probably as something of an annoyance.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers Cheques

You will be best off going to a bank and cashing the TC's.

As you can see they are somewhat of a white elephant item nowadays.

My last holiday it was ATM and CC hardly any cash.....

Got to get in tune with the times my friend......

Poppa

Edited: 19 December 2011, 19:37
West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
826 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers Cheques

Sorry was just asking and they are still used like cash in Orlando!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travellers Cheques

Most tourist attractions will readily accept them if in USD. Stores, maybe not.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travellers Cheques

Regardless of what you're asking. They're still more expensive than taking your money in other methods. Surely you want to save a few ££$$ here and there. It can add up to a fair bit

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travellers Cheques

Traveller cheques are widely accepted all over New York including the outer boroughs , most "locals" wouldn't know this as....well they already have local bank accounts without the high exchange fee's, so don't have the need to know that New York is one of the easiest city to use them.

I did not have one store refuse my request ( never got an annoyed look or called old fashioned ) , just ask first before you start the transaction.

I had more hassle's using my banks CC as the store had never heard of "this foreign bank !!" and had to verifiy it with the manager.

Don't know what the situation is like in U.K , but the best exchange rate you can get without fee's here in Australia is to buy either cash or travellers cheques ,

don't try to take them to a bank in USA as they will, more than often, charge fee's to encash them , most hotels will cash them for free , and of course you do get cash change back after a purchase.

Safer than carrying large amounts of cash especialy if you are travelling for more than about a week .

If your prepaid cash card fails ( and they do !) , you are without access to cash.

Edited: 19 December 2011, 21:02
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travellers Cheques

The best exchange rate without any fees is a MetroBank Debit Card or a Norwich & Peterborough Debit Card, closely followed by a Nationwide Debit Card or a Santander Zero Credit card or a PrePaid Credit Card, closely followed by cash, closely followed by other debit cards that charge fees, followed by Travellers Cheques.

I've paid with my cards, and never once had anyone say "I've not heard of this bank" and I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people that have never heard of MetroBank and they live in the UK. That excuse to recommend something expensive, really doesn't work IMO.

I've also never had a prepaid card fail, and can't see a reason why. If a prepaid card would fail (linked to the Mastercard network) then surely all mastercards would fail...

M

Edited: 19 December 2011, 21:06
Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travellers Cheques

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents to this topic...

As an American, when I travel overseas I always find the best exchange rate for currency in nearly all countries I've been to is to just bring my debit card and get cash out of the ATM.

My bank does not charge to use foreign ATMs (or domestic ones) for any bank, and they reimburse me any fees I get if I'm in a country (or at a domestic bank) that charges me to use their ATM.

I never use Travelers Checks in Australia, for example. Nor do I buy loads of cash in advance (often it's more expensive) and I don't know many who feel comfortable carrying all their money for a trip in paper form in one pile together.

Travelers Checks, although you'd be surprised just how many places in NYC and elsewhere in the US that DO ACCEPT them, are still more expensive than some of the other options when visiting the US. This from my friends in Paris & London.

Have fun on your trip!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travellers Cheques

As long as your card has a recognizable symbol on it like Visa or Mastercard I can't imagine anyone worrying about what bank it came from---Atm's also always have the most favorable rate of exchange for any given day--- leave the TC's at home and if you do bring them seek out a salesperson who is over 50 who will know what they are. It is possible some of our younger salespeople have never seen one.