We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sky vacation rentals...new york

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Sky vacation rentals...new york

Has anyone stayed with this company in new york....I am nervous about booking after all i have read about dodgy accomodation offers in New York...Sue

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sky vacation rentals...new york

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sky vacation rentals...new york

Short-term apartment rentals in New York City (under 30 days) are illegal - against the law. The city is cracking down big time on those few that are still in operation. A large number of what you'll find are simply outright scams where they pull the pictures of flats / apartments that are for sale - they pull the description and pictures from websites of reputable companies involved in the sales process of such units and they pretend to have ownership and pretend to be renting them out. Many doormen at many of the buildings in town have lots of stories of people showing up expecting their holiday apartment only to learn they've been scammed. No place to stay. Nothing. They've lost their money and they have nothing to show for it.

The police in New York can't really help you if you've been on the internet in Australia dealing with somebody who may have claimed to be in NYC but is really in another country. You're just out of luck and you can either get a legal hotel or see if you can pay the airline a change fee to let you turn around and go right back home to Australia. Really sad when it happens but it happens quite often. So sad!

Don't let it happen to you.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sky vacation rentals...new york

What's dodgy is folks continuing to look for apartment rentals even though they know they are illegal. You've obviously read about them, if you're asking the question.

Even if you don't get scammed, it's still illegal

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Sky vacation rentals...new york

Sue46a, Did you end up booking through Sky Vacantion Rentals? We are considering the same company so any feedback you have would be appreciated.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,114 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sky vacation rentals...new york

Some people just refuse to be helped.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,028 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sky vacation rentals...new york

You are right BB ... but on top of the illegality, this thing just SCREAMS scam ....

You see, this morning somebody posted about "New York Travel Rentals".

See this: tripadvisor.com/…39354386

And guess what, the site for New York travel rentals is IDENTICAL to the one for Sky Travel Rentals. Only the name of the company and the phone number are different. They show you the SAME 4 apartments no matter what size you request and how much you wish to pay. They never tell you what's available, they never list a rate they just say "call us".

You can see the two sites for yourself:

http://skyvacationrentals.com/index.php

http://newyorktravelrentals.com/index.php

Please save yourself the heartache of being scammed and let the experts here direct you to an "apartment style hotel" (or, as I've learned, another term for that is "serviced apartment").

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sky vacation rentals...new york

I would never use this company again. I was not notified of any details until the day before travel. Now I am fighting to get my $500 deposit back for 4 months now. Nobody ever returns phone calls or e mail. NEVER NEVER USE VACATION SKY RENTAL PROPERTIES!!

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Sky vacation rentals...new york

Hi,

sorry for the late reply but i have booked with these people and they are a nightmare. They take your deposit money with no intention of renting an apartment to you.They left me high and dry in NYC and wouldn't answer my mails and in the end my credit card company had to chase them for my deposit back. so in short they are CON artists.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sky vacation rentals...new york

Why do people who use this Forum continue to ask about rentals - it is clearly stated that most rentals are illegal or outright scams - is it the thrill of the risk or are people just plain stupid?

Come on folks - buck up - book hotels.

Boy, getting tired of saying this......

Poppa

Callicoon/Brooklyn...
Destination Expert
for Callicoon, Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,373 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sky vacation rentals...new york

Is it me, or didn't anybody else notice that all of the old posts about apartment rentals are popping up from last year?

I guess its that time of the year again!!!!

Carry on! I don't partake in these threads anymore, its just too tiresome to educate people who don't want to be educated!!