We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski area accessible for day trip?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,095 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Ski area accessible for day trip?

I'm contemplating a trip to NYC in mid-February and was wondering if there's any ski areas that are easily accessible for a day trip. I'd love to take one day out of the city to go snowboarding, and would rent all the equipment needed. I've been to Windham Mountain during the summer for mountainbiking, that's not too far but is there any resorts closer? I will likely be staying in LIC, so I could rent a car and drive, or if there was a shuttle or other mass transit even better. Where do the locals go?

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski area accessible for day trip?

Scott, how would you rate yourself as a boarder? Novice? Expert? There are some places closer to NYC, but they aren't as big as say, Windham or Hunter Mountain. That being said, there is Hunter, Windam, and a couple of places in Connecticut that are a reasonable drive from NYC. You would definitely need a car - no mass transit to any slopes I know of, and I'm a life long resident of the Hudson Valley.

Give us an idea of what you're looking for and your skill level, and I'm sure you'll get some good responses.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,095 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski area accessible for day trip?

I've been snowboarding 3 times in my life, last time two years ago. I don't need another lesson, but definitely beginner level, I would have more fun at an easier slope. I can also say from my experiences in Colorado, that I prefer smaller mom and pop type places to the high gloss luxury resorts that are really crowded.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
919 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski area accessible for day trip?

Without a car, you may want to consider Mountain Creek in Vernon, New Jersey, just about 45 miles from NYC. NJ Transit provides bus service on weekends throughout the winter. They also have a dedicated area for just snowboarding.

…mountaincreek.com/mountain/…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,930 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski area accessible for day trip?

glenwoodnyc.com/manhattan-living/…

http://www.emiliosskishop.com/

snowboardingforum.com/snowboarding-location-…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,095 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski area accessible for day trip?

Man, those suggestions are making me salivate! The Emilio's SkiShop day trips seem like quite a bargain and could make for "one stop shopping." The Mountain Creek resort also sounds great, although I want to go on a weekday and it seems their direct buses only run on weekends. Thanks for all the great tips and links!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,324 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ski area accessible for day trip?

You've been snowboarding three times, but don't need another lesson--now, that's funny!

7. Re: Ski area accessible for day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2013, 10:20