We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Time Square

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to Time Square

What is the best way to get to Time Square from Newark Airport at 5 AM. I am staying at the Hotel St. James. My flight lands at 4:30 am.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,056 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,889 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Time Square

You can take a taxi and pay a lot of money (as in maybe $50 or more) or...

Take the Airport's AirTrain to the railroad station at the airport; then take a New Jersey Transit train at Newark Airport; there is one every half hour starting at 4:48 AM, and between 7 and 10 AM, there is one every 10 minutes.

In one half hour you are at 34 St and 8th Avenue in Manhattan and can either walk, take the subway or bus, or a taxi right to wherever you want to go in the Times Square area (a 3/4 mile x 1/2 mile location).

(DON'T take Amtrak from the Newark Airport station: it costs much more, you usually need a reservation, and it's pretty darn crowded without much room for new people to get on with luggage; NJ Transit has a little more space because it's a commuter train; Amtrak has airplane style seating.)

Here is how to find out the schedule for the train, but of course you can't know exactly what time you will get to the Newark Airport (EWR) station):

www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv…

Edited: 30 December 2011, 22:00
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Time Square

Are you actually going to Times Square itself? Many hotels use that in their name even though they're some distance away. Depending on your actual destination, you might prefer the express bus to the train at that hour. The express buses start at 4 a.am. and run every 15 minutes. There should be little traffic that early.

With the express bus you don't need to change from the AirTrain to New Jersey Transit, and the buses run to the Port Authority Bus Terminal (41st Street & 8th Avenue) so just one block from Times Square with no need to take the subway.

However, this really depends on exactly where your hotel is. The express bus (and don't take a shuttle) is $15.00 while the AirTrain/New Jersey Transit combination is $12.50. Here's the URL for the express bus:

…reachlocal.net/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Time Square

The St James is at 45th and 6th--- as long as you have rolling baggage you can walk it from Port Authority after taking the bus-- not normally recommended but at that hour (are you sure of the hour ? that seems very early) it would not be a bad trip.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Time Square

Thanks! @Bilmin09 - yes I am sure of the time. I am coming in on a long-haul (16 hour) international flight. The last time I flew this route (in Sept 2011) we had a strong tail wind and landed in NY at 3:45 AM. I have two pieces of luggage - one large suitcase and one small one - and a laptop bag. Both the suitcases are on wheels.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to Time Square

If you're staying at the St. James, I think the second express bus stop - at 42nd Street and 5th Avenue, will be a bit closer to your hotel than getting off at the Port Authority.

From there to your hotel will be an easy walk. Just go west on 42nd Street to 6th Avenue (aka Avenue of the Americas,) turn right, walk up three short blocks to 45th Street, and your hotel should be right there on the left, just in from the corner.

They'll store your bags in the bus baggage compartment. Tell the person loading the bags where you intend to get off.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to Time Square

In case you are asleep when you read Auden's directions (due to the hour) I think you would turn left not right when you hit 6th avenue since you would be going uptown at that point. Turning right would take you downtown.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get to Time Square

No Bilmin, the OP would be walking west on 42nd Street to 6th Avenue, and so would indeed turn right to head uptown (which is the direction they want.)

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get to Time Square

AudenHoggart's advice is best. Not only is the 42nd and Fifth stop closer, but Bryant Park is better piece of scenery than the Port Authority environs. But I believe the buses only run every half hour at that time of day.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get to Time Square

Big Foof is right. Until 6:45 a.m. the buses are every half hour (on the 15 and 45 minutes, it appears.)

10. Re: Best way to get to Time Square

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2013, 10:20