We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

live and eat like new yorkers

BIRMINGHAM
Level Contributor
90 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
live and eat like new yorkers

i want to sample living and eating like a true new yorker. idea would be welcome

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,374 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,364 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: live and eat like new yorkers

What does that mean exactly - "live" like a New Yorker? Maybe you could include more information about what you are referring to exactly, budget, dates, etc.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,662 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: live and eat like new yorkers

Real New Yorkers pay a fortune for tiny apartments in the outer boroughs, and cook at home. Is that what you had in mind?

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,098 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: live and eat like new yorkers

"There are 8 million stories in the Naked City..." Exactly which New Yorkers do you want to live and eat like?

Happy New Year

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: live and eat like new yorkers

Get a subway pass ($29 for 7 days of unlimited rides).

Remember that despite all the good restaurants, people who live in NY are not eating 3 huge meals a day. They won't got to a diner for pancakes and bacon and then eat a giant deli sandwich for lunch, followed by dinner in a pricey steak restaurant. And ... everybody has different tastes.

When I think NY food, I think "1960s New York" ... Jewish Delis, Pizza, Italian, Chinese .... but reality is, New York is a huge conglomeration of people with roots all over the world and there's all sorts of food available from many ethnicities, both new school and trendy or old fashioned.

When I'm in New York, I prefer to eat foods I can't easily get at home or that are really better in NY. So, I'm not going to eat Vietnamese Pho in NY because we have a couple of great places at home ... on the other hand, corned beef sandwiches and half-sour pickles aren't that common where I live, so that's a must-have. kwim?

Here's a few things to get you started:

Bagel w/ lox (smoked salmon) and cream cheese

Hot dog from a street vendor

Any other food from a street vendor

Corned beef sandwich (preferable from Katz's Deli)

Cheese cake (I like Junior's)

Korean fried chicken

Pizza

My daughter insists on Red Mango Frozen Yogurt cuz we didn't have that near us until recently ... but that really isn't "NY food".

Check out menupages.com for more ideas. You can search by food type or neighborhood.

Where are you staying and what are you planning to do while you are in NY?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: live and eat like new yorkers

When you can spare the time to put some more words around what it is you're asking, we can spare some time to answer.

6. Re: live and eat like new yorkers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 December 2011, 15:13
Edited: 31 December 2011, 15:13
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: live and eat like new yorkers

grab a bagel and coffee from a cart on your way to a job you would rather not be doing--- stop at Subways and pick up a foot long for the refrigerator at work since you will be eating at your desk working on the year end reports and then get home about 9pm for a few slices of cold pizza and some beer from the fridge

Thinking all along I wish I could live and eat like them dam tourists ! what a life

Edited: 31 December 2011, 15:36
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: live and eat like new yorkers

SUBWAY bil? Surely a REAL New Yorker doesn't eat subway ... there's gotta be a Super Sub or some other independent sandwich shop around.

Speaking of subway ... my husband took my then-4yo to a relative's graduation at Dartmouth College. When he returned he told me "They have a subway there, but it doesn't have any trains!"

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: live and eat like new yorkers

actually forgot-- I kind of enjoy Subway and I ain't no New Yorker--- I am a Bostonian who has been banished to this island but slowly working my way back. Maybe 2012 will be the year.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: live and eat like new yorkers

Most of what "real New Yorkers" do is not dissimilar to what is done all over the world. We work, we shop, we cook, we raise our families, we go to movies, etc. But there are differences.

The biggest difference to my eyes is that NY is not a car culture like most of America. Neither of my kids, both over 18 have a driver's license. Lots of folks do not own cars at all. We rely on the subway and an occasional cab to get places. Besides - if you drive - where do you park?

Another big difference is how we shop. NY just simply is not mall territory. Yes, there are a few around like Queens Plaza or Atlantic Terminal, but for the most part we do our shopping in single site stores. We also have many more "mom and pop" type stores - especially in the boros. We shop more often as we do not have the super-sized SUV to load everything in and then disgourge it in the driveways which we also do not have.

I believe that our palate is also different from most of the country. New Yorkers are culinarily adventurous as a result of having the fortune of being a center of immigration. It is not uncommon to see really young kids eating Indian, Japanese, Russian or any of the other ethnic foods that proliferate in NYC. As the choices are so great - I believe that we also do takeout more often as well.

Finally, we walk and talk more rapidly. We tend to be brutally honest with our opinions, and share them frequently - if you want them or not. And yeah - we invented sarcasm.