We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

apartments??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
apartments??

Hi i am from Australia and ive been looking for accomadation im not travelling until 12/23/2012 but been reading about hotels and charges and some are really pricey.. i was looking on trip advisor and stumbled on a apartment thats in Williamsburg?? after reading some messages on here im a little comfused... its going to cost $300per night plus a $70 cleaning fee, $200 deposit with amount paid on the date of arrival!! and i thought its a great deal... i am just wondering if it is and actually how far is Williamsburg from say times square?? in the info they said 5mins?? but also its got no reveiws??

Help Please ......

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,391 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: apartments??

You need to look for an apartment-style hotel, not a "regular" apartment.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4976956…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4960512…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4665322…

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: apartments??

you need to read this:-

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

its far too earlier to start looking at the moment for next dec

Ireland
Level Contributor
450 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: apartments??

Hi Brittney, you will get loads of replies on apartment rental in New York City being illegal. To start you off on a search for legal apartment style hotels you should check out the affinia group, radio city apartments and doubletree suites times square (to name but a few). Plenty of more suggestions will come your way from the locals I am sure.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: apartments??

The info is lying if it says you can get to Times Square in 5 minutes, which makes the whole listing suspicious, plus apartment rentals are generally illegal unless they're specifically apartment style hotels, like affinia.com or Radio City Apartments.

It's too early to look for hotels - most places won't even be booking rooms this far in advance.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: apartments??

Also, no, $300 a night for an apartment in Williamsburg is a lousy, overpriced deal.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: apartments??

Hotel prices fluctuate , but they do not publish discounted rates this far in advance. Right now, you'll be seeing only "rack rates" (higher rates). Closer to travel time, actual discounted rates will be published.

Though early December is an extremely expensive time for hotels, later December is more reasonable. Of course, the rate for Dec 31 will be high, but other nights should be more moderate.

Perhaps someone here has some idea of what Affinia (apartment style hotel) rates were for end of December this year.

How long are you staying? If it's over 30 days, then some apartment rentals will be legal. Otherwise, stay in a hotel or apartment style hotel.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,920 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: apartments??

1) It's too early to see good rates for next Dec. but you can start looking around for options and gathering info.

2) $300/night for Williamsburg plus cleaning fees etc. is not a bargain.

3) Start getting used to using

maps.google.com

You can answer a lot of your own questions about distances and what's near what with it. For example, if you're arriving at JFK, just type

JFK airport to Williamburg, Brooklyn NY and click to get this map

http://g.co/maps/gq9wd

4) Private apt. rentals are mostly illegal. Don't do it.

How many of you are there? How many beds do you need? How long will you stay? What's your nightly budget in US dollars?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: apartments??

There is 2 of us and we will be staying 10nights in New York budget I don't really wanna spend more then $4000 for accommodation Inc taxes and the rest... I thought to wait a little while b4 I book it I was just getting ideas at the moment but as most of u no it's exciting as it's my 1st trip ever overseas... It's great site here I'm loving it thanks 4 the quick reply..

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,391 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: apartments??

That budget should be sufficient. It's way to early to book this and some places won't let you or even show realistic rates.

That said .... even now, you can get an "L-shaped Junior suite" with a full kitchen at the Affina-affiliated Eastgate Tower for $3877, including tax. BUT ... the last night (jan 1st to 2nd, is outrageously priced leading me to believe the aren't pricing accurately for 2013 ... it's $200 more than the 31st which is traditionally very expensive.)

I tried to look at the Affinia dumont but they won't let me put in the Jan 2 2013 departure date ... but for a 9-day stay (departing jan 1 2013) , they have options starting @ $3550 (all inclusive) so my guess is you'll be able to get that last night for $450.

There's many other options but I just wanted to give you a bit of reassurance that your budget is realistic.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: apartments??

Thank u, I'm just looking around for now.. Also how far in advance do most people leave it 2 book?? And will they get cheaper as time goes by??