We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best/Cheapest time to visit

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
194 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Best/Cheapest time to visit

My hubby and I have been looking to go to NYC for a 3-4 day trip. We only need a hotel. Id like one that's not too noisy or we wouldn't be able to sleep. We'd like it to be in a great safe location; easy to get to things. We want to sight-see, but not break the bank. Every time I find a decent looking hotel, the price is high. I don't want to go when its cold out though. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best/Cheapest time to visit

whats your budget?

Jan and Feb are the cheapest months

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best/Cheapest time to visit

Best time to visit is never the cheapest time to visit. That is simple logic.

The cheapest time to visit is when it is freezing cold normally, Jan - March are cheap months.

August can be unbearably hot, however it is normally cheaper than September.

It really seems that everything you want contradicts each other - you want quiet but in the centre of all the action, you want to sight see, but not spend much, We get that, but you have to understand that NYC is probably one of the most expensive cities to visit. It can be cheap if you do research, and that is one thing I'd urge you to do, research. A read of any basic guidebook will let you know about areas to stay, what is where, what is good, and when low / high seasons are.

M

Mentioned in this post
rhyl, north wales
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best/Cheapest time to visit

We got a great price for febuary/march(we fly in on feb 28th)expecting the weather to be pretty baltic tbh but who care's?

Enjoy your trip whenever you go

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best/Cheapest time to visit

I like going in January. Hotel prices are low and many of the shops have big sales & heavily discounted items.

It also isn't as crowded, so that's nice too.

The downside is that it's cold. So what? If you get cold, you have a great excuse to duck into a coffee shop and warm up while you read the Village Voice or whatever.

The Cosmopolitan Hotel in Tribeca often has very reasonable prices. www.cosmohotel.com It is a decent location (not perfect). It is right across from a subway stop, so it's quick and easy to get most anywhere. It isn't fancy but it's clean. I like it.

Edited: 01 January 2012, 22:47
Mentioned in this post
TriBeCa
TriBeCa
267 Reviews
New York City, NY
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,824 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best/Cheapest time to visit

Are you ok with heat and humidity? If so, try end of July (after the 4th of July holiday). August can also have good deals but it's harder to predict because so many Europeans vacation that month.

Hotels discount their rates depending on demand, and late Jul and to some extent Aug always has reduced rates. You won't see those low rates right now, though. The rates you'll see are the basic rack rates (much higher). Wait until early spring to start seeing realistic summer rates published. At that time, search rates for every summer week (yes, they fluctuate that much), or come here to get some great tips on deals.

Let us know your budget and experts can let you know whether that's realistic for a nice hotel during off-peak summer weeks.

Ozark, Missouri
Level Contributor
507 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best/Cheapest time to visit

Here are my experiences:

June 2009: Wyndham Garden Times Square, $149 a night (Travelzoo special)

June 2010: Staybridge Suites Times Square, Expedia package, averaged about $189 a night

June 2011: Mansfield Hotel, $169 a night with Tablet hotels private sale. Record setting heat wave that week and crowds far beyond the previous two years.

Those were business trips in which a midtown location was essential.

Our two fun trips:

July 2-5, 2011: Andaz Wall Street, hotels.com package, $125 a night

March 10-13, 2012: $115 a night at the Solita Soho, booking.com sale

The best value of our trips was definitely the Andaz over the 4th of July holiday. We were delighted to find the city far less crowded than in June and the weather was not bad at all that particular holiday. I purchased that package in March, about three and a half months out. We loved the location; the hotel was wonderfully quiet.

My point in all this is that I think the 4th, at least last year, is a great time to go with excellent prices. I check prices all year long, both for business and leisure, and those dates so far have been the best value. Hubby is taking our first college graduate to NYC over the 4th this upcoming summer; I will probably start looking for good deals in a month or two.

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
45,677 Reviews
New York City, NY
Staybridge Suites Times Square - New York City
Staybridge Suites Times...
6,030 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Mansfield
The Mansfield
1,931 Reviews
New York City, NY
Andaz Wall Street
Andaz Wall Street
3,153 Reviews
New York City, NY
Solita Soho Hotel
Solita Soho Hotel
505 Reviews
New York City, NY
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,231 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best/Cheapest time to visit

The best time to go is the most expensive,with Sept thru Dec 31 being the most expensive. The cheapest is the worst time to go, with Jan,Feb and March being the cheapest.

Many hotels are high rises, away from the street noise. I've been coming to NYC for decades and stayed in all sorts of hotels. Never had trouble sleeping or heard a thing.

No one would recommend an unsafe(or unclean) location. Any tourist area is safe, as is the subway, which makes every location accesible to any other

Mentioned in this post
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best/Cheapest time to visit

Hey

I've been looking for a 5 night break in New York for next year (I was thinking of going this December but it seems rather expensive) maybe in Feb but the cheapest I can get for a decent hotel is going to cost £1200, is this a reasonable price?

Mentioned in this post
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best/Cheapest time to visit

Not for Feb, no.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best/Cheapest time to visit

I'm struggling to find a cheaper price? Where abouts should I look? I mean I want to stay in a relatively nice hotel, I've been looking at the Milford Hotel or The Time Hotel. Also Im up in the highlands of Scotland but can fly from anywhere in the UK I guess if its cheaper?

Mentioned in this post
The Time New York
The Time New York
734 Reviews
New York City, NY