We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hot Dog Carts

Southfield, Michigan
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hot Dog Carts

Are the street hot dog carts safe to eat off? Always seen them on TV and I love a good dog.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hot Dog Carts

I ate them. My dad ate them, and he's usually all about the gourmet food! We're still alive :)

They're perfectly safe to eat from, and they're yum!

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,745 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hot Dog Carts

If they weren't, the population of NYC and the number of visitors would dwindle rather quickly.

rhyl, north wales
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hot Dog Carts

You can't beat a dog from street vendor in nyc!!enjoy

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,805 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hot Dog Carts

They're safe, but disgusting. You'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hot Dog Carts

If you really like good hot dogs, go to Gray's Papaya. The stuff the street vendors sell are called dirty water dogs for a reason. I agree that they are safe, but they are awful.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,138 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hot Dog Carts

Ya gotta do it at LEAST once ... and some vendors actually put them on a grill and don't pull them outta water ... depends on where you are.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
806 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hot Dog Carts

I think most street hot dogs are really good.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hot Dog Carts

In all the years I worked in NYC (and lived there), I NEVER got sick from eating off a cart - any type of cart.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hot Dog Carts

Have gone for many years and daughter lives there. Youngest son NEVER passes a dog cart without at least one. Have had many and nothing like it. Trick is order it like you like a dog. Don't be intimidated by a "New York" dog. If you like ketchup, order one with ketchup. It's Just a really good dog. I think the atmosphere where you eat it makes it.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hot Dog Carts

I'm sure it's possible to over-analyze this, but consider that hot dogs (even cheap ones) are fully-cooked when you unwrap them, and the buns are wrapped. So your only exposure is the chance that soiled hands will touch your meal while (theoretically) holding the dog in the cardboard or paper serving wrap.

Many visitors like these dogs not only because of the surroundings and fun, but because they've never had an all-beef hot dog at home, and don't know how much better they can taste. (I'm sure some carts have dogs with other meats and too much cereal filler ... )

I'm also trying to contrast this with R-O-S grilled meat carts, where the cooking starts with RAW meat on a grill. I've never gotten sick in 60 years of cart hot dogs, but I do know of other people who got sick from grilled meat dishes on the NYC streets.