We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need safe, close to it all but not too expensive in midtown

california
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Need safe, close to it all but not too expensive in midtown

Again, thank you all for your advise. I will be going on a 4 night trip in April from the 11-15th, with my teenage son and DH. I have read a lot about which hotels, looked at maps, used google etc. and I am still so confused. I am looking for a place to stay that is under $350nt for the 3 of us. Living so close to LA, shopping is not in our agenda. We want to do all the tourisy stuff, bike around central park, see a broadway show,all we can fit in, in such a short time. We plan to stay out as long as our legs will carry, so we do need a hotel close to subway, be able to walk out and be around some action even if its late, but not necessarily right on top of it. Mostly a safe place should we decide to walk about. Its been a long time since we have been there and and a first for our son, we remember some places close to midtown weren't so nice, but again its been a really long time since. Please any advise would be appreciated.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need safe, close to it all but not too expensive in midtown

No-one on here will recommend a place that is not safe. In my opinion you don't necessarily need to stay Midtown especially as you intend to use the subway. You can get from place to place quickly and easily on the subway and the places you will want to visit will be spread all over the city anyway. Are you looking to share a room for three or would you prefer seperate bedrooms?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need safe, close to it all but not too expensive in midtown

I stay in midtown about once a year and I will only stay at one place. Hotel Roger Williams.....great rates and everything about this hotel is top notch. Close to s a subway stop and everything else.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need safe, close to it all but not too expensive in midtown

Olotels.com (never used it myself) offers several good hotels in your budget:

Courtyard Midtown East, 1120$ all in

Hilton Garden Inn New York, 1136$

Holiday Inn Manhattan-downtown/soho, 1232$

Getaroom:

East Gate Towers vor 310$ all in a night, Junior Suite

Booking.com

will give you a studio with 2 double beds in East Gate for 1280$ all in

and

Hampton Inn Madison Square Garden , double double, 1156 (not refundable)

Hotels.com

has a discount going: hcjan10, 10%

unfortunately, the discount doesn't work for this hotel:

Hampton Inn Manhattan/Times Square South, so it ends up 1224$ all in, not refundable....

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need safe, close to it all but not too expensive in midtown

You may want to check out: Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo via expedia...

seems to be withing your budget..

Geneva
Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need safe, close to it all but not too expensive in midtown

The Hilton Garden Inn on w35th street is about 30 yards from a subway entrance with access to a lot of the subway lines you'll need to take you up and downtown.

It's a 10-15 minute walk to Times Square and 5 minutes from the Empire State Building.

We stayed there for 4 nights over Christmas this year and were extremely happy with everything and the rates were very reasonable for a high room with 2 double beds.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need safe, close to it all but not too expensive in midtown

Also, there is no location close to everything,you just need to be close to the subway. Every hotel website I've looked at shows the distance to the closest station on the Maps and Transportation link.

There will be activity and stuff happening in ANY neighborhood you stay in. Everywhere tourists are and go is safe in NYC. We would never recommend a hotel/location that is unsafe ..or dirty or that has a chronic bedbug problem.

Next place I want to stay is The Courtyard in Soho! Check it out..:)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,859 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need safe, close to it all but not too expensive in midtown

A lot will depend on what you consider the ideal sleeping arrangement. For 3 people, most hotels will have a room with 2 double beds. If that's fine with you, you really have a lot of options. There are a handful of hotels that have 2 queens which I think is much more comfortable. There are also suites hotels that have a bit more space, usually with a kitchenette. Suite sizes that would be within your budget will either be a studio (all one room) or and 1 bedroom. Some suite hotels have 2 bedrooms but not likely under $350. Ofcourse the other option is to get a king room that will accommodate a roll away bed for your son. It depends on his size really as to which of these will be most comfortable. Rooms with 1 bed are usually cheaper than rooms with 2. Some hotels will charge for a roll away and some won't. Know that some hotels/chains consider anyone over 13 an adult while others consider anyone up to 17 a child. I mention this because it occasionally will affect room prices.

Some of the best options within your budget on those dates with 2 queen beds or a suite imo:

The Blakely hotel is a small hotel just north of Times Square and south of Central Park that has some 1 bedroom suites. What's nice about their suites is the bed in the living room is a daybed, rather than the typical sofabed, so it's much more comfortable. Their prices also include a small continental breakfast. The price for a 1 bedroom suite with either 1 king so son sleeps on the daybed or 2 doubles is $330/night plus tax.

Blakelyhotelny.com

The Hampton Inn Times Square North has rooms with 2 queen beds and is also well located (due west of the Blakely) with large rooms and is very popular. They have king rooms with sofabed or 2 queen beds which will be slightly above your budget when tax is added (tax adds ~ 15%) Hotels.com seems to have the best prices.

The Affinia.com group are suite hotels in midtown, well run and popular with families. The Affinia Dumont on east 34 st. has some nice views of the Empire State building from the higher floors. It looks like you can find a studio suite with 2 beds (these will be queens) or possibly a 1 bedroom suite within your budget. Check on

Affinia.com

kayak.com

quikbook.com

booking.com

The Affinia Shelburne is also very nice and also appears to be within your budget for either a studio with 2 beds or a 1 bedroom.

Courtyard Midtown East has rooms with 2 queen beds (and those usually also have a sofabed) for $329/night plus tax.

If you're willing to stay downtown,

Hotel Mulberry on the edge of Chinatown has rooms with 2 queens and includes breakfast well within your budget. Check the hotel's own website and booking.com

None of these hotels are right in the middle of Times Square where the worst crowds are found. All but the Mulberry are in walking distance of Fifth ave. shops, Times Square and Central Park.

Here's a map showing all the hotels. The last is the Hampton Inn Times Square North

http://g.co/maps/f7374

california
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need safe, close to it all but not too expensive in midtown

Thank you so much,

The Blakely and other sounds great. We are not big or tall so we can all fit in one room and even 2 doubles. I think I would prefere 1 king and a rollaway. I appreciate it and started doing my homework.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need safe, close to it all but not too expensive in midtown

You could also get a one bedroom suite at the Salisbury Hotel, which is two blocks from Central Park and an easy walk to Times Square.

http://www.nycsalisbury.com/

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need safe, close to it all but not too expensive in midtown

LOL...here's me thinking a double was bigger than a Queen bed....^_^

happy hotel hunting!