We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental laws in NYC?

Save Topic
Rental laws in NYC?

Hi there,

Me and 6 of my friends are looking at going to New York City for New Years Eve next year. We're looking at apartments and found a website called 'vrotels' and saw a great apartment on there. I didn't just wanna book with them immediately so I thought I would research them on here. I saw a thread that says they rent apartments illegally! :S

Can anyone clarify what the laws are and if anyone has any websites that rent apartments legally?

Thanks in advance!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,115 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
999 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,389 reviews
from US$36.00*
Geneva
Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental laws in NYC?

Please, please take a look at the second entry titled 'Why are Vacation Apartment Rentals a Bad Idea in NYC?' in the 'Top Questions about NYC' on the right hand side of this forum or do a quick search and you'll find many, many answers to this.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,000 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental laws in NYC?

The only apartments that are clearly legal to rent for less than 30 days are in suite hotels like

affinia.com

nycsalisbury.com

radiocityapartments.com

http://www.marmara-manhattan.com/

You will have loads of websites/companies telling you they're perfectly legal and they're probably not. (Would they admit they're doing something that's not kosher?)

You don't provide information on where you live, but there's a London agency

www.apartments2book.com

that gets contracts with many of these suite hotels. Apts. in NYC tend to be small and the large ones are very expensive (because there are fewer of them). 7 people is a lot to put in one apartment. You will find some of the Affinia hotels will be able to sleep 6 people in a 1 bedroom suite (2 queen beds in the bedroom for 4 and a sofabed in the living room for 2) but they won't take 7 and if you book for 6 and arrive with 7, you're out of luck. Eastgate Towers, one of the Affinia group have very large 2 bedroom 2 bathroom suites that are probably your best bet. The Marmara has 3 bedroom apartments but they're quite pricey.

If your budget is very tight, you might be better off staying just outside Manhattan a train ride away. Do you know which airport you're likely to be flying in and out?

Oh, and btw, if you're planning on going to Times Square, have a read here

timessquarenyc.org/events/…index.aspx

Save Reply
3. Re: Rental laws in NYC?

Sorry, I searched this on my mobile so it did't have the other topics listed down the side. Thanks, I'll have a look at them now.

Edited: 08 January 2012, 10:34
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental laws in NYC?

Thank you for the help, I'll have a look at the websites and see what they offer! ^_^

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental laws in NYC?

You have to understand that there is a real bias towards rentals here and that the general population of NYC does not know about or care about this issue. There is some thread of truth and "some" apartment rentals would be considered illegal for those that own the property. When people here present themselves as totally knowledgeable about this topic please be wary as you do not know their knowledge base.

That said--- I would definitely avoid apartment rentals because there are so many cases of outright fraud on the internet where the places depicted do not even exist. That alone is reason to book a known entity like a hotel.

6. Re: Rental laws in NYC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2012, 19:23
new york, ny
Level Contributor
464 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental laws in NYC?

How is this related to short-term rentals?

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental laws in NYC?

I happen to agree with Tomedison There is no god given right to live in NYC and the rents should be what the market would bring and the lease should be the controlling document--- you sign on for one or two years at a certain rate and you should be provided adequate housing and that is it . When the lease is over so is the contract.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,394 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental laws in NYC?

While I agree that people should not be allowed to inherit rent-controlled/stabilized apartments it has absolutely nothing to do with the question. The poster, Tomedision has found a platform to abuse with his opinion. I have reported it as not travel related and suggest others do likewise.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental laws in NYC?

So are the ones you search via trip advisor ok or not? i am so confused it seems there are scams out there but also perfectly ok places to rent. I have seen the vrotel thread and get from that they may be real but are likely to be renting illegal places. Given you are on the group - is my research correct? I traded emails with a lady with a one week rental via vbro.com - was she ligit? I did not book with her. We are two couples travelling so really woudl like to stay together if we can. Any ideas?